A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

bobajob

Posting Awards

Effects Of Sleep Disorder On Dl And Ins, Went To A Sleep Clinic

by: bobajob on

Hey Guy's,

Question, mrsbobajob, a while ago, went to a sleep went to a sleep clinics, due to snoring, not sure if sleep apnea. Now someone told her that if she does have SA, her insurance needs to know and it will go on her license. So she didnt go to pick up her report.

so other than the more obvious medical issues revolving around SA (if she has it)

what are the consequences of

1> Her not going, having an accident ? (would this come out)

2> Being diagnosed with SA and not telling the insurance company

3> Not sure her doctor has reported anything, he just did a ref, and not sure if the sleep clinic, sent him a copy.

So really looking at worst case and "real life" problems.

I'm a diabetic, on insulin and I reported to the ministry and insurance and made no difference to my DL or premium

on a totally different note

* why did the site force me to change my password ?

* Don't really like this minimum length of characters for subject line

* Also the skin is very large, I remember when I first joined, about 3 ? years ago, nice board layout LOL

anyway TIA

B man

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

There are a list of conditions that a doctor is required to report to the Ministry of Transportation. These are conditions that could suddenly impact a driver while driving (eg. heart conditions, black outs, strokes, alcohol dependencies, ALS, MS, brain issues, etc). I believe sleep apnea is one of those conditions.

If that's the case, the doctor will fill out a Medical Condition Report and hand it off to the Ministry. From there, it's a good possibility that a medical suspension will be issued by the MTO. That means you can't drive until all the steps are taken to clear the suspension. A doctor has to come up with some sort of diagnoses regarding your issue. For example, there are people who may have black outs but a doctor may take, who knows how long, to figure out what the source is. The result is a loss of license for maybe years. After a doctor is satisfied, they report back to the MTO. The MTO will then review your case at their earliest convenience based on severity and first come first serve (will most likely months).

A medical suspension will be visible on your license. However, insurance providers are not allowed to use them for the purpose of determining rates up to a certain degree. If I remember correctly, your license needs to be suspended for more than 2 years before your provider can apply to use that information. They'll have to fill out some request for why they should be able to use it and then it will either be approved or denied.

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

Pardon the pun, but Mrs. Bobajob should rest easily. If she's managing her apnea with a CPAP machine (preferably) or other form of treatment/therapy as advised by her doctor, she is still eligible for a licence. She would have to have severe apnea to be denied a licence.

I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. It used to be a lot worse (even though I'm older now, I weigh less. I've never had an issue with respect to my driver's licence, but I do try to take breaks on longer drives, something I didn't do when I was in my 30's and 40's.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

txs all !

my/our problem, is she was told by somone that as it will go on her license, not to go get it, but there is a report anyway, so her doc would get it anyway ?

more the problem that she "could" have a major issue if she doesnt het treatment for it

we are assuming, sleep apnea, but not 100%.

She also has problems eating, in so far as she kinda breaths through her nose when chewing and swallowing, you know like when you have a cold and can't breath properly,

something is going on, at the moment, my concerns is she's NOT getting treatment.

But txs all for the replies as far as DL and INS

cheers again !

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Post a Reply