Mr.X89

Went Threw Red Light Camera Last Night, Couple Of Questions

by: Mr.X89 on

Hey everyone, first post here...

So I was driving at night probably between 12am-1am in my fathers car along Derry, upon crossing Hurontario (light was Green) and in the distance I saw no "countdown" or flashing of the stop sign for pedestrians , however, a car running along Hurontario's headlights triggered the light change, to which I was not expecting and I continued threw the light anyway and got the dreaded 2 camera Flashes. With that said, I have a few questions...

1) Looking at Peels website they claim to have 12 Cameras "active" in Mississauga dated November 2012 (although clicking on the google map shows 21), along Derry road it has Red light cameras listed on Mavis, Tomken, Airport, Rexwood and Winston Churchill but not Hurontario. I saw on an older map dated August 2011 it had one listed for this intersection but on the current one on the Peel site it is not listed. So does this mean the Camera is currently inactive?

2) As I was approaching the Light I did not see any type of warning sign that Red light Cameras were at the intersection, is that required by law?

3) I have read that Demerit points, driving record and insurance increases will not be affected, but I would prefer to try and reduce the price from $325 if I do indeed get the ticket. If I go to court, will it then show on my drivers record?

I am a delivery driver and would like to keep my record clean, I got 3 speeding tickets when I was 18-19 which was 6 years ago but ever since then I smartened up, so this has me quite perplexed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Mr.X89 wrote:1) Looking at Peels website they claim to have 12 Cameras "active" in Mississauga dated November 2012 (although clicking on the google map shows 21), along Derry road it has Red light cameras listed on Mavis, Tomken, Airport, Rexwood and Winston Churchill but not Hurontario. I saw on an older map dated August 2011 it had one listed for this intersection but on the current one on the Peel site it is not listed. So does this mean the Camera is currently inactive?

Maps are just created as a deterrent. They don't need to be accurate as they don't require you to do anything that you aren't already supposed to do as a driver of a vehicle. Some boxes are filled with the required camera and ready to go, while others are just props until they are equipped. I don't know know if they rotate the equipment on some sort of schedule or they just fill them as they go. I guess this may depend on the city. You'll soon find out either way.

Mr.X89 wrote:2) As I was approaching the Light I did not see any type of warning sign that Red light Cameras were at the intersection, is that required by law?

Red light cameras require zero action. They are not telling you to do anything. A sign is not required.

Mr.X89 wrote:3) I have read that Demerit points, driving record and insurance increases will not be affected, but I would prefer to try and reduce the price from $325 if I do indeed get the ticket. If I go to court, will it then show on my drivers record?

Red light cameras are just a fine. They do not know the identity of the driver and aren't pursuing a specific license holder to be held accountable. They simply go towards the owner of the plates. If you don't pay, you can't renew your plates and/or the city may use other methods to get the plate holder (sounds like it may be your father) to pay.

There are no points and it won't appear on your abstract. Whether or not it can be reduced will depend on the prosecutor you are dealing with.

Mr.X89 wrote:I am a delivery driver and would like to keep my record clean, I got 3 speeding tickets when I was 18-19 which was 6 years ago but ever since then I smartened up, so this has me quite perplexed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It will have no affect on your license.

viper1

by: viper1 on

Not sure what you mean about "inactive" but as far as I know they rotate the camera's around from spot to spot.

The ticket will go to the owner of the plate not you.

Do you really judge when to stop from the pedestrian light's?

I ask because of some studies that say that they are more dangerous then the old style.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Mr.X89

by: Mr.X89 on

Not sure what you mean about "inactive" but as far as I know they rotate the camera's around from spot to spot.

My hope was that it had no camera in it since its not listed in the 12 "active" red light camera list. I believe there was a bad accident in November on that intersection, which could be the reason it might be re-activated. My question was if the Camera had been removed to be used at a different intersection, would the senors still flash regardless of the Camera not being there?

Do you really judge when to stop from the pedestrian light's?

Not completely, but I find it helps letting me know if I should be prepared to stop or able to get threw the light. I tend not to use it to gain speed so I can make it across. Generally, I stay 10 kph over the speed limit. So on the report it may say I was going 80 in the 70 zone.

Anyway whether or not I get the ticket I learned my lesson, I just hope I can get lucky and avoid the charge, although I doubt it.

Post a Reply