Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.


Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!


The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.
  Print view

Rear End Collision - Careless Driving
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:57 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:04 am
Posts: 6
I was driving on Hwy 401 Cambridge at 5PM.
I was driving in mid lane and was following a line of cars around speed limit.
The vehicle in front of me was large and I decided to change to the left lane to get better line sight.
As soon as I entered the left lane, I saw the car in front of me approximately 200m away stopped dead (for some odd reason, there was more traffic on the left lane).
I hit the brakes as soon as possible and held it for more than 3 seconds.
I pushed the brakes to the end as I realize that I may not have enough space to stop.
I heard loud cracking noises from the brakes as the tires skidded through some snow.
I tried to pull into the emergency vehicle lane to avoid contact but was too late.
The front right side of my car hit the left side of the rear of the other car.

No injury was detected for the other party by the ambulance onsite.

There was no sign of snow anywhere else on the Highway except for the place that I crashed my car.
I had changed to snow tires 2 days before the accident and I was not accustomed to the delayed effect it had on the brakes.
I know that snow tires are supposed to make the braking distance shorter, but the ones I had on the car did not.
The day of the accident was the first time I drove after changing the tires.
The passenger in my car was able to identify snow tracks on the road where I collided, also she said I wasn't driving very fast at the time.

I am a graduating university student with a G license and no history of traffic offense.

Do I have a case here to plead not guilty for Careless Driving?


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Rear End Collision - Careless Driving
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:09 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 pm
Posts: 536
Location: Ontario
Snow tires not giving you as much stopping distance you are used to is not going to help. Careless is a serious charge and you should request a trial, ask for disclosure and see what the evidence against you is. Never plead guilty before you have examined the case against you. If you speak to a prosecutor you will very likely to be offered a reduced charge in exchange for pleading guilty.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Rear End Collision - Careless Driving
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:43 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:04 am
Posts: 6
ynotp wrote:
Snow tires not giving you as much stopping distance you are used to is not going to help. Careless is a serious charge and you should request a trial, ask for disclosure and see what the evidence against you is. Never plead guilty before you have examined the case against you. If you speak to a prosecutor you will very likely to be offered a reduced charge in exchange for pleading guilty.



How do i ask for disclosure? Do I request it through trial? or simply talk to the prosecutor and ask for evidence against me?


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Rear End Collision - Careless Driving
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:40 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:08 pm
Posts: 550
Sample Disclosure Request: topic2959.html

You have to submit the request at the prosecutor's office at least 8 weeks before your trial. You'll most likely have to pick up disclosure in-person at the prosecutor's office, they might have an e-mail option.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Rear End Collision - Careless Driving
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:14 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:04 am
Posts: 6
iFly55 wrote:
Sample Disclosure Request: topic2959.html

You have to submit the request at the prosecutor's office at least 8 weeks before your trial. You'll most likely have to pick up disclosure in-person at the prosecutor's office, they might have an e-mail option.



I know that Careless Driving is really hard to prove, so what type of proof do the prosecutors usually provide for this case scenario where the defendant is at fault?


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Rear End Collision - Careless Driving
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:04 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 am
Posts: 1062
butterflydc wrote:
I know that Careless Driving is really hard to prove, so what type of proof do the prosecutors usually provide for this case scenario where the defendant is at fault?


How about you hit a car from behind which means you were too close to the vehicles in front of you and you didn't leave enough space for this very scenario?

Careless Driving isn't a charge where you want to play poker at your trial date. You don't want to plead guilty to the charge, but you probably don't want to play hero at your trial date either. They will probably offer you a reduced charge at your trial. Take it into consideration before you get too confident.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Rear End Collision - Careless Driving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:03 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:04 am
Posts: 6
bend wrote:
butterflydc wrote:
I know that Careless Driving is really hard to prove, so what type of proof do the prosecutors usually provide for this case scenario where the defendant is at fault?


How about you hit a car from behind which means you were too close to the vehicles in front of you and you didn't leave enough space for this very scenario?

Careless Driving isn't a charge where you want to play poker at your trial date. You don't want to plead guilty to the charge, but you probably don't want to play hero at your trial date either. They will probably offer you a reduced charge at your trial. Take it into consideration before you get too confident.


If Im confident about this trial, then I wouldn't post here.
Im not trying to play hero, this incidence does not apply to "following too closely" since I reared the other car few seconds after changing lane and I had no line of sight until I changed over to the left lane. The reason why I changed to the left passing lane was because a big vehicle was in front of me, at the same time, that big vehicle created a blind spot on the left passing lane.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Rear End Collision - Careless Driving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:52 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 682
The big vehicle didn't create the blind spot. You did.The further you are from the rear of a large vehicle, the more you can see.
You indicate "There was no sign of snow anywhere else on the Highway except for the place that I crashed my car."
200m to stop under those circumstances is generally more than double the distance required at the speed limit of 100 km/h

When "Follow too close" doesn't apply, Careless Driving is the appropriate charge. Regardless of weather or road conditions.

You may want to see if the prosecutor will cut a deal on this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Rear End Collision - Careless Driving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:01 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:04 am
Posts: 6
Decatur wrote:
The big vehicle didn't create the blind spot. You did.The further you are from the rear of a large vehicle, the more you can see.
You indicate "There was no sign of snow anywhere else on the Highway except for the place that I crashed my car."
200m to stop under those circumstances is generally more than double the distance required at the speed limit of 100 km/h

When "Follow too close" doesn't apply, Careless Driving is the appropriate charge. Regardless of weather or road conditions.

You may want to see if the prosecutor will cut a deal on this one.



Thanks for the input.
When I was approaching the big vehicle from behind, I did take a glance in the left lane, and there was a gap and the cars are still moving.
Please refer to this post for updated version of the story.

http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic5719.html


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Rear End Collision - Careless Driving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:21 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:04 am
Posts: 6
[updated version]

I was driving on Hwy 401 Cambridge at 5PM.
I was driving in mid lane and was following a line of cars around speed limit.
The vehicle in front of me was large and I decided to change to the left lane to get better line sight.
As soon as I entered the left lane, I saw the car in front of me approximately 200m away stopped dead (for some odd reason, there was more traffic on the left lane).
I hit the brakes as soon as possible, I had at least 6 cars distance to the vehicle in front of me, but unexpectedly the left lane had snow covered on it, and the Anti-lock Braking System significantly increased the braking distance.
I heard loud cracking noises from the brakes as the tires skidded through some snow.
I tried to pull into the emergency vehicle lane to avoid contact but was too late.
The front right side of my car hit the left side of the rear of the other car.

There was no snow on any other lane except the left lane.

No injury was detected for the other party by the ambulance onsite.

I had changed to snow tires 2 days before the accident.
I know that snow tires are supposed to make the braking distance shorter, but the Anti-Lock Braking system increased my braking distance, and I was unaccustomed to this sudden change.

The day of the accident was the first time I drove after changing the tires.
The passenger in my car was able to identify snow tracks on the road where I collided, also she said I wasn't driving very fast at the time.

I am a graduating university student with a G license and no history of traffic offense.

Do I have a case here to plead not guilty for Careless Driving?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. careless driving while trying to avoid rear end collision

mayhew

2

1070

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:50 pm

bend View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Rear End - Careless driving.

mandieleeann

2

1180

Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:50 pm

mandieleeann View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless driving - Minor rear end

jord0690

3

1959

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless driving - minor rear end (what's my chances)

Onagoth

3

1484

Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Shannon T. Kemp View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless driving rear end caught on dashcam

sigmaforce

1

668

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:26 pm

jsherk View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Rear-end collission, skidding downhill - Careless Driving

markhamian

2

697

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 pm

markhamian View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Rear End accident, Charged with Careless driving at centre

Borkis

1

1417

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:43 pm

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Read End Collision- Careless Driving- First Accident

crazythedon

2

751

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:44 pm

viper1 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Summons for Careless Driving, Read End Collision

mamabear

9

1639

Sat May 28, 2016 1:47 am

argyll View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Rear End Collision

aval18

2

3413

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:58 am

Traffic Law View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Rear end collision

question

3

1968

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:10 am

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Rear end collision

Wolfiy1

2

1273

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:31 am

287 View the latest post

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Web Development & Search Engine Optimization
Home | Court Listings | Ontario Traffic Ticket

Copyright 2007 - 2017 © Microtekblue Inc. Web Development & Search Engine Optimization Service. We Support phpBB All Rights Reserved.