A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

bobajob

Posting Awards

Option 2 ! My Trip Down The Rabbit Hole Begins - Advise Pls

by: bobajob on

So Ive taken the plunge after a week of deliberating.

I appreciate the advice Ive got from folks here.

So I decided to go for option 2 and now my trip down the Rabbit hole begins 

I have a few questions; oh if there is a link here anywhere that I've missed please let me know

So

1> Is it obvious whom and where I need to present myself to? As I have an appointment is there a booking/ticket/queue system or do I just go up and talk to someone.

2> When I meet with the prosecutor; is it a 1 on 1?

3> If an agreement is reached I still have to come back for trial before a judge.

4> How should I dress and how should I address the prosecutor?

5> What demeanour works better, "Ive been a bad person and Im sorry, there where mitigating circumstances", "dont be intimated, be confident", "sense of humor"

6> My paper work went to Edward St. Is that where I have to go to?

7> 15 days are up on Sunday and posted by next day, signed (today) is that enough time?

8> How long does it take for an appointment to come through?

9> Is there any day/time that is usually favourite

10> Lastly, from Google maps (street view) it looks like there is parking at Edward and centre street

Appreciate the help, sorry the OCD isnt helping much either.

thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail

by: 287 on

Hello,

I attended an Early Resolution meeting in March, in Caledon East,based on that experience I offer the following (not sure if things vary one court to another):

1> Is it obvious whom and where I need to present myself to? As I have an appointment is there a booking/ticket/queue system or do I just go up and talk to someone.

--- There was a sign, saying if here for a Early Resolution meeting, report to court room number one. Once the Justice had dispatched the cases from the earlyier appointment time, he rose and left the court room. A prosecutor then asked everyone with an appointment for 10 am (ours included) to line up, and we approached him at the Prosecutor's table one at a time.

--- Spoken to one at a time, but no privacy, it was easy to know what others were there for and what deals were struck. Prosecutor not interested in a conversation regarding the charge or circumstances. Looked over the file, asked a few closed questions made an offer.

3> If an agreement is reached I still have to come back for trial before a judge.

--- No, you do not need to come back. You stay until the judge returns, and wait for your case to be called, and enter your plea of guilty to the charge agreed upon

--- I maybe old school, but church and court to me require clean dress clothes, no runners, no shorts, no sweats. With that said there were people there who did not prescribe to this belief nd nothing was said openly to them. Who knows if it has a bearing on negotiation….but at least I don't have to second guess if I was appropriate. I referred to the prosecutor as Sir, he did not introduce himself or provide a name to use, otherwise I would have used Mr. XXX

5> What demeanour works better, "Ive been a bad person and Im sorry, there where mitigating circumstances", "dont be intimated, be confident", "sense of humor"

--- I suppose this can depend on the Prosecutor, however for me there was little discussion and absolutely no interest in mitigating circumstances, or talking about if the elements of the offence had been made - those are subjects of trails, this is not a trial. I approach almost any situation with friendliness, confidence and humour; so little interest in nasty and angry

7> 15 days are up on Sunday and posted by next day, signed (today) is that enough time?

--- Plenty. They allow for several more days, they just say 15. You can always call the court office after a week if you are concerned and they will let you know they received it, all dealings with Caledon have been very pleasant

--- Received notice of appointment in about 5 weeks, appointment was over 5 months from offence. Noticed that there were trials happening for younger offences; seemed like trial dates were set sooner than Early Resolution

--- Not sure what you are asking. The there was no opportunity to select a date or time.

10> Lastly, from Google maps (street view) it looks like there is parking at Edward and centre street

Hope that helps some. I was pretty nervous going in, and now in hindsight, see no reason for it. It was very impersonal, and quick. There was no need to for a strategy as it was here's your offer, take it or leave it, next. Offer appeared to be based on offence (as a lesser offence was offered) alone. No deals offered where there was not an appropriate lesser offence.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

Thank you VERY MUCH ! for coming back to me so fast and so detailed

Excellent information and has certainly helped me focus on other things now...

Many thankxs once again

287 wrote:Hello,

I attended an Early Resolution meeting in March, in Caledon East,based on that experience I offer the following (not sure if things vary one court to another):

--- There was a sign, saying if here for a Early Resolution meeting, report to court room number one. Once the Justice had dispatched the cases from the earlyier appointment time, he rose and left the court room. A prosecutor then asked everyone with an appointment for 10 am (ours included) to line up, and we approached him at the Prosecutor's table one at a time.

--- Spoken to one at a time, but no privacy, it was easy to know what others were there for and what deals were struck. Prosecutor not interested in a conversation regarding the charge or circumstances. Looked over the file, asked a few closed questions made an offer.

--- No, you do not need to come back. You stay until the judge returns, and wait for your case to be called, and enter your plea of guilty to the charge agreed upon

--- I maybe old school, but church and court to me require clean dress clothes, no runners, no shorts, no sweats. With that said there were people there who did not prescribe to this belief nd nothing was said openly to them. Who knows if it has a bearing on negotiation….but at least I don't have to second guess if I was appropriate. I referred to the prosecutor as Sir, he did not introduce himself or provide a name to use, otherwise I would have used Mr. XXX

--- I suppose this can depend on the Prosecutor, however for me there was little discussion and absolutely no interest in mitigating circumstances, or talking about if the elements of the offence had been made - those are subjects of trails, this is not a trial. I approach almost any situation with friendliness, confidence and humour; so little interest in nasty and angry

--- Plenty. They allow for several more days, they just say 15. You can always call the court office after a week if you are concerned and they will let you know they received it, all dealings with Caledon have been very pleasant

--- Received notice of appointment in about 5 weeks, appointment was over 5 months from offence. Noticed that there were trials happening for younger offences; seemed like trial dates were set sooner than Early Resolution

--- Not sure what you are asking. The there was no opportunity to select a date or time.

Hope that helps some. I was pretty nervous going in, and now in hindsight, see no reason for it. It was very impersonal, and quick. There was no need to for a strategy as it was here's your offer, take it or leave it, next. Offer appeared to be based on offence (as a lesser offence was offered) alone. No deals offered where there was not an appropriate lesser offence.

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Post a Reply