No Xxx Ahead Begins - Question

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

bobajob

Posting Awards

No Xxx Ahead Begins - Question

Unread post by bobajob »

Can't find the post I saw the answer to this.

If on a road there is no "xxx ahead" sign, but only a "xxx begins" sign what are your options,

so lets say I'm going from a 60, if I see a "50 ahead" it gives me time to slow down.

so short of slamming on anchors to drop from the 60-50 whats the dilio?

If a LEO saw me doing 60 before the 50 sign, would he give me any leeway before pulling me over.

if not, is this a good cashcow to catch motorists?

also MUST there be an "xxx ahead" sign

txs

sorry if I missed this post

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

No, there is no requirement for advanced notification of a change in the speed limit. Speed limit signs, like all signs, must be visible from a distance of at least 60 metres or more. There are also specific requirements regarding the distance between speed limit signs, but it varies depending on the speed limit, roadway type and location (the specifics can be found under the "signs" regulation of the HTA).

I'd personally disagree that a lack of notification is a ploy to entrap drivers. If a motorist can react to a stop sign and bring their vehicle to a full stop in 60 meters (think country road with an 80 km/hr limit), I don't see why it's unreasonable to expect a driver to adjust their speed over the same distance. And on an anecdotal note, it seems like motorists have no problem noticing speed limit increases and accelerate prior to entering the new zone, yet rarely react in advance to speed limit decreases.

bobajob

Posting Awards

Unread post by bobajob »

txs

LOLZ on the anecdote and VERY true ;)

Stanton wrote:No, there is no requirement for advanced notification of a change in the speed limit. Speed limit signs, like all signs, must be visible from a distance of at least 60 metres or more. There are also specific requirements regarding the distance between speed limit signs, but it varies depending on the speed limit, roadway type and location (the specifics can be found under the "signs" regulation of the HTA).

I'd personally disagree that a lack of notification is a ploy to entrap drivers. If a motorist can react to a stop sign and bring their vehicle to a full stop in 60 meters (think country road with an 80 km/hr limit), I don't see why it's unreasonable to expect a driver to adjust their speed over the same distance. And on an anecdotal note, it seems like motorists have no problem noticing speed limit increases and accelerate prior to entering the new zone, yet rarely react in advance to speed limit decreases.

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail