Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

dealer plates and insurance
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:03 am 

So I got a ticket from an officer last week for operate motor vehicle without insurance. I was driving a car from our lot (a used car dealership company), my boss said that the car is insured under the fleet policy and that I am fine. The problem was that our dealer plate was not on the car at the time (it was left back at the shop), so when I got pulled over the cop tells me that because there was no dealer plate on the car, that it is not covered under the policy while I am driving it on the road. So I got a ticket for no operating the car with no insurance under the compulsory automobile insurance act section 2 (1) (1) and also drive motor vehicle fail to display two plates HTA 7 (1) (b) (i). Does this make sense, does the car have to have the dealer plate actually on it, when you are driving to be insured under the fleet policy????

Re: dealer plates and insurance
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:15 pm 
High Authority

Based on what you've said the charge for driving with no insurance sounds incorrect. I can't see forgetting to plate the vehicle rendering all insurance invalid. What if you're driving along and the dealer plate suddenly fell off? Are you suddenly uninsured? I'm also curious as to why you were charged. It's the owner/lessee who's responsible for making sure the vehicle is insured, not the driver. I'd certainly contact your company's insurance provider and explain the situation, see what they say in regards to your coverage. Driving with no insurance is a very serious charge, get some documentation to show that wasn't the case.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:55 pm 
VIP

I agree with Stanton. Dealer or personal insurance covers the vehicle, whether plated or unplated, on the road or off the road, etc. Also, as he said, only the owner can be charged with operating a vehicle without insurance. Further, the section for that is 2(1)(a), not 2(1)(1) (there is no such section), so I'm not sure what's going on there. I'd suggest you get professional to assist you - you don't want to get a conviction for this by not being on the ball.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:22 pm 

johninbarrie wrote:
So I got a ticket from an officer last week for operate motor vehicle without insurance. I was driving a car from our lot (a used car dealership company), my boss said that the car is insured under the fleet policy and that I am fine. The problem was that our dealer plate was not on the car at the time (it was left back at the shop), so when I got pulled over the cop tells me that because there was no dealer plate on the car, that it is not covered under the policy while I am driving it on the road. So I got a ticket for no operating the car with no insurance under the compulsory automobile insurance act section 2 (1) (1) and also drive motor vehicle fail to display two plates HTA 7 (1) (b) (i). Does this make sense, does the car have to have the dealer plate actually on it, when you are driving to be insured under the fleet policy????

1) Your company is required to have insurance.

You are not guilty of the insurance ticket, unless the charge was (failure to provide a slip)

2) Two plates for a car dealer?Not sure about that.

Maybe wrong charge also.

I do think more and more crooks are hanging things off the back bumpers (to look like test drive) hoping the cops won't bother them.

Cheers
Viper1