Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:34 am 

In no way am I suggesting the cop didn't record the speed of the passing vehicle. I'm just suggesting he MAY have needed to increase his speed for safety reasons based on the actions of the vehicle being passed.

Bear, are you saying that the radar gun will track the speed of two vehicles side-by-side and display the correct speed of both vehicles at the same time?

I'm still confused about Section 148. (1). It made perfect sense to me that an overtaken vehicle SHOULD share the responsibility of assisting a "struggling" passer to get back in safely. I do it all the time. I hug the right edge of the pavement and get off the gas until he gets by. I thought 148.(1) mandated it.

My wife struggled to believe me when I said three cars WILL fit side-by-side on most two-lane highways. In an emergency, three competent drivers could easily avoid a head-on collision if they realized this important fact.

148. (1)
(7) Where one vehicle is met or overtaken by another, if by reason of the weight of the load on either of the vehicles so meeting or on the vehicle so overtaken the driver finds it impracticable to turn out, he or she shall immediately stop, and, if necessary for the safety of the other vehicle and if required so to do, he or she shall assist the person in charge thereof to pass without damage. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (7).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:27 pm 

Quote:
My wife struggled to believe me when I said three cars WILL fit side-by-side on most two-lane highways. In an emergency, three competent drivers could easily avoid a head-on collision if they realized this important fact.

Back in my young and bullet proof days I saw that happen, but it was three car in the same direction........now where is that "Whistling Innocence" emoticon?????

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:53 pm 

LOL!! I almost did that on camera. There was a couple young's messin with traffic on 7&8 west of Kitchener. They would switch lanes back and forth and block all traffic behind them. I was right behind them completely rigged and functioning with multiple TV cameras with another camera vehicle right behind me. I was just about to pull a "Hail Mary" and pass them both right up the middle! Would have made for a great Youtube clip, LOL. But I had my niece in the car so I managed to control myself just this once ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:34 pm 

Uh-huh... was this a video of your recent trip to Montreal?

:D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:57 pm 

Reflections wrote:
Quote:
Readings do not become null and void with more than 2 vehicles on the road

2 vehicles 2 speeds the results are obvious............3 vehicles 3 speeds which one goes where??

will not get 3 speeds, will have 2 speeds and have to determine which vehicle it belongs to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:04 pm 

That drive was scary, but the music made it funny, LOL. Definitely not me... I'm reformed!!!
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2026/sped26kt.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:05 pm 

Bookm wrote:
Bear, are you saying that the radar gun will track the speed of two vehicles side-by-side and display the correct speed of both vehicles at the same time?
yes

Quote:
I'm still confused about Section 148. (1). It made perfect sense to me that an overtaken vehicle SHOULD share the responsibility of assisting a "struggling" passer to get back in safely. I do it all the time. I hug the right edge of the pavement and get off the gas until he gets by. I thought 148.(1) mandated it.

148. (1)
(7) Where one vehicle is met or overtaken by another, if by reason of the weight of the load on either of the vehicles so meeting or on the vehicle so overtaken the driver finds it impracticable to turn out, he or she shall immediately stop, and, if necessary for the safety of the other vehicle and if required so to do, he or she shall assist the person in charge thereof to pass without damage. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (7).

Sounds like this is referring to a transport that is passing a slower vehicle. (IE: transport loaded with steel has slowed for a camper trailer at 60km/hr in an 80zone, the transport starts to pass and b/c of the weight the truck takes longer to accelerate and greater distance, the camper should assist my slowing down more until the pass has completed) Even under that scenario I do not know of any JP that would convict the camper driver if charged.