Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

OHTA and Euro Style Front Plates
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:21 pm 

SO here is a question i can't seem to find distinct enough in the OHTA , could be i looked in the wrong section , but if someone knows the section , and can give me a link would be great.

What is the Law or interpretation of a Law for a Front EURO style Plate with your Plate numbers and letters . Im also taking about a plate that has a Canadian Flag on the left side as opposed to the euro flag on it. but with my own plate numbers on the front , the rear would remain the ministry issues plate with permit tag stick on it.

Thanks

Re: OHTA and Euro Style Front Plates
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:49 pm 

Nope...

Permit requirements
7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,
(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;
(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,
(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or
(ii) number plates described in subsection (7.2) if the vehicle is an historic vehicle and the Ministry has issued a currently validated permit for it; and
(c) evidence of the current validation of the permit is affixed, in the prescribed manner, to,
(i) one of the number plates mentioned in subclause (b) (i) displayed on the vehicle, or
(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:27 pm 

paul1913 wrote:
Nope...

Permit requirements
7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,
(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;
(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,
(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or
(ii) number plates described in subsection (7.2) if the vehicle is an historic vehicle and the Ministry has issued a currently validated permit for it; and
(c) evidence of the current validation of the permit is affixed, in the prescribed manner, to,
(i) one of the number plates mentioned in subclause (b) (i) displayed on the vehicle, or
(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

a) There is , its on the rear plate.
b) Is displayed on vehicle , Prescribed manner is open to interpretation
(i) The numbers would be displayed as it would be the same numbers on the euro styleized plate.
(ii) Vehicle is not historic
c) evidence would be displayed on the rear plate as it is with all current ontario plates
(i) there would be atleast 1 of the original plates diplayed on the rear of the vehicle with permit
(ii) Mini plate does not apply for this instance.

Section 7.2 would be the only place that is open to interpretation , as the front plate only displayes your permit letters and numbers and no renewal tag , the euro style plate would also display these and also display it is a Canadian plate number.

Thats the way i saw it anyway.

Anything other than that section , as it does not clearly explain this particular situation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:30 am 

But the front plate you want to use wasn't "issued in accordance with the regulations" so you can't use it.
The "prescibed manner" is in Ontario Reg 628 and says: "The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle." Not much to interpret there. The front and rear of the motor vehicle is normally where the bumper is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:09 am 

Quote:
Violations as to number plates

12. (1) Every person who,

(a) defaces or alters any number plate, evidence of validation or permit;

(b) uses or permits the use of a defaced or altered number plate, evidence of validation or permit;

(c) without the authority of the permit holder, removes a number plate from a motor vehicle or trailer;

(d) uses or permits the use of a number plate upon a vehicle other than a number plate authorized for use on that vehicle;

(e) uses or permits the use of evidence of validation upon a number plate displayed on a motor vehicle other than evidence of validation furnished by the Ministry in respect of that motor vehicle; or

(f) uses or permits the use of a number plate or evidence of validation other than in accordance with this Act and the regulations,