Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Front plates
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:33 pm 

I was pulled over for not having the front plate on the bumper, the plate was VERY clearly visible on the dash from the front. The only reason the officer pulled me over because the car is flashy and stands out. I was not speeding or doing anyting wrong. He insisted that it has to be on the bumper, I asked him to show me that in the HTA and he said that he could not as its common sense that it should be on the bumper not in the window. He said that it was not clearly visible in the window, I asked him if I had a trip permit in the window would he pull me over?. He got all upset and let me go with a worning. I'm sick and tired of being pulled over just for having a nice car. I don't street race and go racing to a local track. I guess all you can do is arm yourself with information so you can stand up for yourself. HTA does not say anywhere that the plate has to be affixed to the front bumper..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

This is a good point!

I'm not really sure if the OHTA does say anything about where to put your License Plate.

I am going to see if I can find a reference to that in the OHTA.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

Ok I found some info regarding Permits and Licence Plates.

Permit requirements

7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or

(ii) number plates described in subsection (7.2) if the vehicle is an historic vehicle and the Ministry has issued a currently validated permit for it; and

(c) evidence of the current validation of the permit is affixed, in the prescribed manner, to,

(i) one of the number plates mentioned in subclause (b) (i) displayed on the vehicle, or

(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

- In a prescribed manner - this might be referring to how the MTO prescribes where to put your plate on the vehicle.

(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

According to this, the OHTA does require you to have a plate on the rear of your vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:25 pm 

OK, so as long as you have a rear plate and one clearly visible from the front you should be OK. Nowhere in the act it says that it has to be affixed to the front bumper.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Yea, nowhere in the OHTA does it state "bumper".

It is only referring to the REAR of the VEHICLE....which in my opinion is arbitrary and doesn't give an exact definition.

I think however, that since the bumper would be considered the ultimate REAR of a vehicle, then it is assumed that the bumper is in question.

What ELSE is the most REAR of a vehicle? NOTHING.

As for the FRONT....I don't think the law requires you to have anything there if you don't want to...or does it? Not too sure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:57 pm 

How current is the HTA that you are quoting. I'm sure it said something about being visible from front and back. Maybe it was changed??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

casper wrote:
How current is the HTA that you are quoting. I'm sure it said something about being visible from front and back. Maybe it was changed??

Please visit: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm
for the reference source.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:00 pm 

I think an officer could argue that the reflection of the sky on the windshield would obscure the clear view of the plate. This same windshield reflection could be argued to cause issues with regard to "clear view" for photo radar and red-light cameras. He could also possibly argue that the plate is obscuring your forward view out through the windshield.

Licence plates are painted with a special reflective paint to enhance red-light photography as well as Laser Gun performance. Even Licence plate protectors could be considered illegal for this reason.

It's a subjective argument. It the cop tells the judge he had difficulty seeing the plate, he'll likely believe him. I suspect the police really just pull over cars with plates in the windshield to look for other violations. Cops stopping hot-rods has been a fact of life since the 50's. I was stopped monthly in the muscle-car era. This will never change. You're correct... you must learn how to protect yourself through education. As it did for me, the courtroom will become your classroom ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:45 am 

OHTA wrote:
Yea, nowhere in the OHTA does it state "bumper".

It is only referring to the REAR of the VEHICLE....which in my opinion is arbitrary and doesn't give an exact definition.

I think however, that since the bumper would be considered the ultimate REAR of a vehicle, then it is assumed that the bumper is in question.

What ELSE is the most REAR of a vehicle? NOTHING.

As for the FRONT....I don't think the law requires you to have anything there if you don't want to...or does it? Not too sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------
In the Revised Regulations of Ontario under the Highway Traffic Act, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (3) states:

"The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle."

Operative words in the foregoing are ATTACHED, EXPOSED, CONSPICUOUS, FRONT. REAR. No mention of bumpers.