A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Visspui

Ticket From Different Cop?

by: Visspui on

I was driving home, pulled into my driveway, and a cop parks behind me...gets out and tells me I ran through a stop sign. You guys probably hear this all the time, but I really think I was stopped...anyways... he tells me that it's been in the paper about people complaining that noone stops for that stop sign. He tells me to wait, comes back out and gives me a ticket. The name of the officer on the ticket was not his own, but another female officer that works in our town. She might have been in the passenger seat, I don't know, but still....

Any way I could get out of this ticket for that reason? Or am I out of luck

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

You could request disclosure and see who provides notes for the evidence of the offence. If they are both in the car she can write the ticket and he can give the evidence, as long as she's there to sign it, otherwise it wouldn't be proper service and would be null.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Visspui

by: Visspui on

I'm waiting on the disclosure, but does the officer that presents the ticket have to sign off or anything that he is doing so?

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

No. It really doesn't matter who issues the ticket to bring the action into court. All that matters is who shows up to give evidence. Consider this analagous to a criminal investigation. An officer witnesses something, turns it over to a detective who investigates and then lays a bunch of charges. What does it matter that the detective isn't going to be the one to give evidence in court to the charges he's laid?

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply