civil_driver

Why Is My Speeding Ticket Different??

by: civil_driver on

Hey guys,

Hopefully this is the proper place to start this post.

I was hit withdoing 44 over in a 100 kmh zone .

Everyone I speak to is telling me to pick option #2 for early resolution with the crown. Even a cop buddy of mine told me this.

Except the problem is option #2 on notice of offense is to meet with the JP to discuss amount and time to pay the set fine . I'm guessing maybe due to the speed I was hit with, the option doesn't exist for me??

Is there any way that I can sit with the crown to discuss whether he is willing to reduce the fine at all, or to see what I can. Get out him???

Your options and advice are ggreatly appreciated.

Thanks

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

There are different provincial offence notice forms being used in varying jurisdictions across Ontario: http://www.ontariocourtforms.on.ca/engl ... -act-forms

Yours may be Form 3, and what the officer, friends and family are talking about is Form 4.

You can still choose option 3 trial, and at the ticket office they may have a separate form to fill out for a 'First Attendance Meeting' with the crown prosecutor.

Your speed by no means deprives you of an opportunity to plea-bargain. Plea-deals for any speeds below +50km/hr is the norm in all Ontario Courts. You will most likely get a reduction to the next demerit point bracket (+16km/h to +29km/h).

Personally I would choose the trial option; once you get your Notice of Trial with the trial date, you can request for disclosure: officer's notes and a copy of his speed measuring device's manual. Once you review his notes, you can decide whether you want to defend your ticket or seek a plea-bargain.

Keep in mind, you'll most likely get the same deal whether you choose trial or early-resolution.

civil_driver

by: civil_driver on

Exact answer I was looking for. Just thought maybe the form they gave me had made SOL to try and plea bargain with the crown.

So I'm obviously going to file for option #3, in doing so, should I request disclosure before even attempting to set a date with the crown to "talk it out?" If early resolution is even an option in this jurisdiction.

Now, if it does go to trial without first having the option for early resolution, what are the usual chances that the Crown goes to the defendants one by one offering a plea??

Thanks Again

Post a Reply