Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Ticket for no valid permit, will it affect my Insurance?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:02 pm 

So I am driving along the highway on my way to a job Interview, being very careful about speeding since I have 2 older tickets for that, I see an undercover car and think nothing of it since I am doing nothing wrong...right? WRONG!

Turns out I forgot to renew my damn sticker back in August! I could not believe it when he told me this, I was sure I had done it, but sure enough I had not :( I wonder if I did not get the reminder in the mail this time.

So now I am VERY worried about my insurance since I have 2 other tickets and I know with 3 total my Insurance company might even cancel my policy, and many others will NOT even take you if you have 3.

The lady in the Ministry Office seemed to think this was more like a parking ticket since it has no demits and should not affect Insurance, but it IS a highway traffic act (sec 7 1 A) violation AND still a "moving violation" from what I understand (where as a parking ticket is not in both cases???) and I am worried the Insurance company is just going to see it as another ticket and boot me out the door or bend me over accordingly.

Any insight on this would be appreciated. Not sure there is anything I can do, I pleaded with the Officer to not give me the ticket since it was an honest mistake after driving for 30 years its the first time I forgot to renew sticker, but he gave it to me anyway and said it wasn't a "big deal". I could try my sob story with the Prosecutor I suppose, but not sure what it could really be reduced to other than lower fine maybe, however the main thing I don't want is a "ticket" at all just for the inevitable Insurance hike. As far as I can tell, ticket looks proper on its face. I did go buy the sticker RIGHT after this happened, and I have heard that sometimes when you do that they will drop the charge in court when you show this, not sure I want to go court and chance this, does Prosecutor have the power to drop it?

TIA

Re: Ticket for no valid permit, will it affect my Insurance?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:08 pm 
High Authority

Most insurance providers look at all HTA convictions, regardless if the offence carries demerit points. You'd have to check with your provider to be certain, but chances are your charge will count as a third offence.

In my experience, the prosecutor will typically offer you a significantly reduced fine. Dropping the charge outright seems to be something more common in really busy jurisdictions like Toronto. You've got nothing to lose by meeting with the prosecutor and seeing what they'll offer, but don't count on them withdrawing the charge.

How recent are your last two convictions? Are they almost at the point where your insurance company will no longer consider them? If they are, you could try to draw out your most recent matter for as long as possible to delay the conviction.

Re: Ticket for no valid permit, will it affect my Insurance?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:42 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I have not called to confirm yet but I'm betting you are right and it will count.

One of the tickets is going to drop off soon, but even with 2 my Insurance is much too high, bluddy crooks

Does the Crown have the power to change it to a parking ticket maybe? As you say, most times they are likely to offer a reduced fine but that really does not help me at all.

This way, they can still collect their bounty from me, and then I won't get further reamed by the Insurance for something so petty and an honest mistake. I am 100% sure that the Postman delivered my reminder to the wrong address (live in Condo and we get others mail other the time sadly) because I looked in my papers and notes back from August when I needed to renew and NO sign of it. Of course I won't make this mistake again, but damn it I can't afford this on Insurance as I will now be driving for a living.