My Run in with HTA 172

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

VLiverpoolFC
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:09 am

My Run in with HTA 172

by: VLiverpoolFC on
Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:15 am

Hi guys, I got pulled over last night and was ticketed with HTA 172, I was going 157 on a 100 on 400N and was wondering what I should do. I was using cruise control but the guy in the lane to my left was driving into my lane irresponsibly to I sped up to get ahead of him and just my luck that's when an OPP cruiser pulled up behind me flashing his lights. My court date is at the end of the month and I was wondering what actions I should take to reduce all possible charges as my car has been impounded as well.

I had an absolutely clean driver's licence prior to this incident and this is the first time I have been pulled over other than a RIDE program(didn't get breathalyzed they were just stopping everyone one the road, I don't drink) Also, I did not see the laser that had said I went 157 however he had said I went that speed nor did he offer to show me it either if that makes a difference. I'm also panicking super hard right now and barely slept last night :(


ynotp
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Ontario

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on
Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:15 am

As you know this is a very serious charge as far as the HTA goes.

You can either:

Attend the court date collect disclosure and see if the evidence against you will support a conviction then decide if you want to seek out a plea bargain or fight the charge.

or

Hire good representation to deal with this in the best possible way on your behalf and sleep better knowing that it is in the hands of an expert. They may end up doing the same thing as you could yourself but I personally would leave it to the pros.

With a level headed approach the odds are this will end up as a speeding charge. The odds of this going to trial as street racing are about the same as you getting off completely (not likely) usually due to a screw up.


VLiverpoolFC
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:09 am

by: VLiverpoolFC on
Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:04 pm

A few more questions;

1. How many demerit points should I seek in the plea?
2. Will my license be suspended again?
3. Am I looking at jail time, if not how long until my next court day ?
4. Know any good lawyers? I live in York Region


Stanton
High Authority
High Authority
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: Ontario

by: Stanton on
Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:08 pm

You’ll probably be offered a plea deal where they drop the stunt driving charge in exchange for a plea to the speeding offence. They may also reduce the speeding offence to 49 over, which would be beneficial in terms of insurance implications. Most insurance providers consider anything under 50 over to be a minor offence with minor insurance implications. If you’re convicted of 50+ over however it will be considered a major offence which will result in a serious rate increase.

Demerit points will only come into play if you have a G2 licence. Even a 49 over speeding ticket carries 4 demerit points which results in an automatic 30 day suspension upon conviction for G2 drivers. The only way to get less than 4 demerit points would be for them to drop it down to a 29 over, which realistically isn’t going to happen. In terms of jail time, I wouldn’t worry. Jail time is typically only sought on repeat offenders with lengthy records or egregious first time speeding offences (i.e. 157 in a 50 km/hr school zone versus on a 100 km/hr highway).

In terms of the length between Court dates, it will be dependent on what you want to do. You’ll probably be looking at several months to a year before a trial is scheduled. If you simply want to resolved the matter with a plea the wait will be a lot shorter. As stated above though, you’ll at the very least want to request disclosure and review the evidence against you.


VLiverpoolFC
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:09 am

by: VLiverpoolFC on
Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:31 pm

Stanton wrote:You’ll probably be offered a plea deal where they drop the stunt driving charge in exchange for a plea to the speeding offence. They may also reduce the speeding offence to 49 over, which would be beneficial in terms of insurance implications. Most insurance providers consider anything under 50 over to be a minor offence with minor insurance implications. If you’re convicted of 50+ over however it will be considered a major offence which will result in a serious rate increase.

Demerit points will only come into play if you have a G2 licence. Even a 49 over speeding ticket carries 4 demerit points which results in an automatic 30 day suspension upon conviction for G2 drivers. The only way to get less than 4 demerit points would be for them to drop it down to a 29 over, which realistically isn’t going to happen. In terms of jail time, I wouldn’t worry. Jail time is typically only sought on repeat offenders with lengthy records or egregious first time speeding offences (i.e. 157 in a 50 km/hr school zone versus on a 100 km/hr highway).

In terms of the length between Court dates, it will be dependent on what you want to do. You’ll probably be looking at several months to a year before a trial is scheduled. If you simply want to resolved the matter with a plea the wait will be a lot shorter. As stated above though, you’ll at the very least want to request disclosure and review the evidence against you.

is taking that plea deal the best possible outcome of this situation, if so what are the total consequences for that plea deal?


Stanton
High Authority
High Authority
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: Ontario

by: Stanton on
Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:21 pm

It entirely depends on the strength of the Crown’s case. That’s why it’s advisable to have an experienced paralegal or lawyer review the evidence against you to make that determination. If there’s a good chance of beating the charge then it’s certainly worth taking to trial. If not then a plea deal to a lesser offence is probably best.


jsherk
High Authority
High Authority
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:18 pm

by: jsherk on
Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:12 pm

You have to get disclosure (officer's notes) and review it before you know what the best possible outcome might be.

You should show up to court date and be very nice to prosecutor and see what kind of plea deal he will offer.

Then you should ask if disclosure is available. And then say you would like to review disclsoure before you decide whether to take the plea deal or not.

After you get new court date set, take disclosure and go see a good lawyer.
+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++


Post Reply

Return to “General Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests