Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

110 in 80, reduced to 100, on route to vet with bleeding dog
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:08 pm 

Hi guys. Have only had one other minor charge (15 over) about two years ago to the day thus I gather it's still on my abstract for 1 more year.

Just got pulled over for 110 in an 80 zone, was rushing my dog who was bleeding all over my car to his vet. Not saying that's an excuse to speed, I'm just stating the true situation as cliche as it sounds!

The officer even asked me about the dog, said he'd be quick and let me go, and knocked it down to 100 in an 80 from 110.

Should I bother to try and fight this or at least pick option 3 and get to a pre-meeting with prosecution?

All I really care about is protecting my insurance rates if I can, maybe I can't!? I guess even if they drop it to 15 over and no points it's still a minor conviction in the eyes of insurance (will be my second), in which case am I better to pay now and start the 3 year ticker now (does it start from the day you're convicted or day you're found guilty?)

I don't know if they'd consider knocking it down based on my situation and generally good record beyond that....this is about all I can see to argue on my behalf, thoughts?

I'm a professional individual and don't have lots of time to sit around in a court house and drag this out, but I could spare half a day I guess if it will get me anything, but will it? Will they reduce an already reduced ticket?

Thanks.

Re: 110 in 80, reduced to 100, on route to vet with bleeding
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:32 pm 

No they will not reduce it more, and the dog excuse will not get you anywhere. If I were you I'd request a trial then request disclosure when the trial date comes, see if you get proper notes from the officer and if anything is out of line (lack of disclosure, improper notes ect.) then that and officer not showing up to court(low chance) is your only possible way out. So basically if it is reduced, thats what you will be paying and since you are 20km/h over you fall into the 16-29km/h over range and will have a "minor" conviction on your licence.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:57 am 

Thanks for the assessment.

I think I have already screwed up in that I checked option 3 but I did not check that I wanted the cop to show up. Certainly that is wrong because I want to check that just in case he doesn't show right? Is there anyway I can correct that and request him later or call them to modify my option 3 or something? Wait for the court date and then request him? Probably shot myself in the foot already eh?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:29 pm 

ttlt_11 wrote:
No they will not reduce it more, and the dog excuse will not get you anywhere. If I were you I'd request a trial then request disclosure when the trial date comes, see if you get proper notes from the officer and if anything is out of line (lack of disclosure, improper notes ect.) then that and officer not showing up to court(low chance) is your only possible way out. So basically if it is reduced, thats what you will be paying and since you are 20km/h over you fall into the 16-29km/h over range and will have a "minor" conviction on your licence.

TTLT, thought I'd let you know that you're actually completely wrong. I just had my pre-meeting with the prosecution who was very kind, outright friendly. He actually asked about how my dog recovered. We discussed my case, he'd spoken with the cop who remembered my dog, and they offered to reduce it further to 15km over and no points. I of course wanted it not to appear on my record at all but I chose to thank them and agree to that, I figure a roadside reduction and yet another one out of the goodness of their hearts was enough pressing......I'll sign and get on with my life.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:22 pm 

Good end result .. Best if luck with your dog