Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.


Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!


The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.
  Print view

Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:38 pm 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:16 pm
Posts: 38
Stanton wrote:
Officer’s notes: Must be provided
Both sides of the ticket: Won’t be provided unless notes were written on back of ticket
Typed version: Unlikely to receive on first request. Will have to justify upon reviewing notes (i.e. illegible, use of short forms that are indecipherable)
Statements made by the defendant: Unless you gave the officer a written statement, this won’t exist.
Records relating to training, internal directives, policies: Won’t be provided
Occurrence report: Won’t exist, police don’t complete reports for a simple traffic stop.
Video /Audio Evidence: Should be provided if it exists
Make, model, and serial number of speed measuring device: This would be part of the notes
Owner’s manual: You’ll likely just get the testing section.
Officer’s training record: Won’t be provided.
Repair history of the unit: Won’t be provided.
Calibration Procedures & Records: Won’t be provided
Procedure for radar/laser equipment testing and operator training standards: Won’t be provided.
Traffic Stop and Vehicle Search Procedures: Won’t be provided.

You can question the officer regarding his or her training and testing procedures at trial, but you won't receive any documentation in regards to it.


Thanks for your reply, Stanton. If they don’t provide me with all relevant information and documentation so I can prepare a defense and answer to the charges, would not it be a reason to request an adjournment or even a stay?

As for typed version of any handwritten notes, I agree that it’s unlikely to receive it on first request, but if don’t request it now and if I get handwritten notes just before the trial, how will I be able to claim that they didn't provide the typed copies of the officer notes and request a stay/ adjournment if I’ve never requested a typed version? Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:19 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 am
Posts: 1064
Memo1 wrote:
As for typed version of any handwritten notes, I agree that it’s unlikely to receive it on first request, but if don’t request it now and if I get handwritten notes just before the trial, how will I be able to claim that they didn't provide the typed copies of the officer notes and request a stay/ adjournment if I’ve never requested a typed version? Thanks.


They don't have to provide typed notes before you have even seen the original notes. The originals can be perfectly fine and legible. If for some reason you can't read the notes, you can send in a second request. If you don't get the notes in time, they'll likely just give you another trial date. While at the courthouse, it's possible they'll have the officer there to go over the notes with you and satisfy your request.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:52 pm 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:16 pm
Posts: 38
bend wrote:
Memo1 wrote:
As for typed version of any handwritten notes, I agree that it’s unlikely to receive it on first request, but if don’t request it now and if I get handwritten notes just before the trial, how will I be able to claim that they didn't provide the typed copies of the officer notes and request a stay/ adjournment if I’ve never requested a typed version? Thanks.


They don't have to provide typed notes before you have even seen the original notes. The originals can be perfectly fine and legible. If for some reason you can't read the notes, you can send in a second request. If you don't get the notes in time, they'll likely just give you another trial date. While at the courthouse, it's possible they'll have the officer there to go over the notes with you and satisfy your request.


Thank you, Bend.

If that is what they do, it looks like it’s better not to request a typed version now, hoping that the original notes will be difficult to understand. It also looks like it’s better send a second request as late as possible (perhaps just before the trial) to leave them with less time to provide a typed version. But, on the other hand, according to http://www.ticketcombat.com/step4/section_109.php, in order to give them proper notice of a constitutional question “section 109 requires you to …notify them at least 15 days before the court date.”

So, what would be a better approach?

1) Send the first disclosure request as soon as possible and send the second request as soon as the first disclosure is received in order to have time notify them of constitutional question at least 15 days before the court date

2) Send the first disclosure request as late as possible (6 weeks before the trial date?) and the second request as late as possible (perhaps just before the trial date?) to leave them with less time to provide the second disclosure

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:57 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 am
Posts: 1064
You're supposed to want disclosure as soon as possible. Waiting until the last minute or waiting until it's impossible to respond doesn't benefit you.

You're only sabotaging your own trial.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:50 am 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:16 pm
Posts: 38
bend wrote:
You're supposed to want disclosure as soon as possible. Waiting until the last minute or waiting until it's impossible to respond doesn't benefit you.

You're only sabotaging your own trial.


Thanks for your advice, Bend.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:26 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 am
Posts: 1064
Let me expand.

If you sit around for months and wait until the last minute to request disclosure, it will be used against you. You're going to argue how you don't have disclosure and the other side is going to make the point that you've made no attempt to request disclosure until the last minute.

Your trial will likely be adjourned and you'll be considered at fault for the delay. You can no longer argue your trial is taking too long because you're the one who is wasting time.

They are going to make sure they satisfy any relevant requests then and there before you leave the courthouse. Example, if you're arguing over wanting a copy of the device manual, they'll book you an appointment in their office to look it over and you'll be forced to drive back down again. They've now instantly satisfied your request without doing any work and now you've got to waste another day before your trial.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:01 pm 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:16 pm
Posts: 38
bend wrote:
Let me expand.

If you sit around for months and wait until the last minute to request disclosure, it will be used against you. You're going to argue how you don't have disclosure and the other side is going to make the point that you've made no attempt to request disclosure until the last minute.

Your trial will likely be adjourned and you'll be considered at fault for the delay. You can no longer argue your trial is taking too long because you're the one who is wasting time.

They are going to make sure they satisfy any relevant requests then and there before you leave the courthouse. Example, if you're arguing over wanting a copy of the device manual, they'll book you an appointment in their office to look it over and you'll be forced to drive back down again. They've now instantly satisfied your request without doing any work and now you've got to waste another day before your trial.


Thanks for your reply, Bend. I requested the disclosure and today I've already got a call from the prosecutor who told me that I can pick it up. So it does not look like there will be any delay or any opportunity for adjournment. Actually, I’m surprised. I've never expected that it would take them only one day to provide a disclosure. Is this typical?


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:24 am 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:16 pm
Posts: 38
I got a disclosure. I requested a full copy of the officer’s notes but was provided with something titled “Ontario Offence Ticket in Narative Text”. However, there is no narrative there and it’s not a handwritten either. It looks like a computer printed form that just repeats the info from the ticket. There are no additional details whatsoever other that it does say:
“Actual Speed: 80” (originally the cop claimed the speed was 84)

Is that normal? Can I request another disclosure insisting on getting a full copy of the officer’s notes?

Must a cop have handwritten notes with some details? If he has no details, how is he supposed to testify? For example, what is going to happen if he is asked about the color of the car and he does not remember?

Also, I got a copy of some pages from Speed Laser User’s Guide but the quality is so poor that I cannot read some of it. Can I request a readable copy? Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:51 am 
Offline
Sr. Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:46 pm
Posts: 279
It seems like you got one of the new e-tickets (which ARE permitted). The officer's notes do not need to be handwritten. They simply use the laptop inside the cruiser which populates a lot of your data once your driver's license is swiped and then they type in their additional notes. There should be some notes about things like the officer's observations, road conditions, the speed limit, how they ID'ed you, any statements/comments made, etc. If nothing exists, then you've likely got yourself a winning case. After all, how will the officer be able to remember the particulars of your specific incident? That would make for a VERY easy cross-examination to create reasonable doubt. In all likelihood, if there are NO officer notes, the prosecutor usually drops the charge as there is no reasonable prospect of conviction. However, if there ARE notes, then they should have given you them at your first request and any delay (adjournment) that arises should be counted against the prosecution.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:42 pm 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:16 pm
Posts: 38
highwaystar wrote:
It seems like you got one of the new e-tickets (which ARE permitted). The officer's notes do not need to be handwritten. They simply use the laptop inside the cruiser which populates a lot of your data once your driver's license is swiped and then they type in their additional notes. There should be some notes about things like the officer's observations, road conditions, the speed limit, how they ID'ed you, any statements/comments made, etc. If nothing exists, then you've likely got yourself a winning case. After all, how will the officer be able to remember the particulars of your specific incident? That would make for a VERY easy cross-examination to create reasonable doubt. In all likelihood, if there are NO officer notes, the prosecutor usually drops the charge as there is no reasonable prospect of conviction. However, if there ARE notes, then they should have given you them at your first request and any delay (adjournment) that arises should be counted against the prosecution.


Thanks a lot, Highwaystar. In the “Ontario Offence Ticket in Narative Text” given to me, there are no notes “about things like the officer's observations, road conditions, the speed limit, how they ID'ed you, any statements/comments made, etc " and I was told that this police officer is known for providing the very minimum. Your reply gives me hope that this case can be won. Probably, not by me but by an experienced ticket-fighter who knows how to handle this. Do you happen to know such a ticket-fighter? Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:05 am 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 am
Posts: 1064
Memo1 wrote:
Your reply gives me hope that this case can be won. Probably, not by me but by an experienced ticket-fighter who knows how to handle this. Do you happen to know such a ticket-fighter? Thanks.


Save your money. If what you received is the only evidence they have, I can't imagine they'd even proceed to trial.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:14 am 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:16 pm
Posts: 38
bend wrote:
Memo1 wrote:
Your reply gives me hope that this case can be won. Probably, not by me but by an experienced ticket-fighter who knows how to handle this. Do you happen to know such a ticket-fighter? Thanks.


Save your money. If what you received is the only evidence they have, I can't imagine they'd even proceed to trial.


Thank you, Bend. I have a feeling that they will not only proceed to trial but also will be amending the speed rate up.

As for the officer’s notes, they told me that the computer made “Ontario Offence Ticket in Narative Text” (with “Actual Speed: 80”) ARE the officer’s notes.

The problem is that I don’t know how to handle cross-examination to create a reasonable doubt. And I don’t know what exactly I should do in case if they give me ‘Winlow Warning' or if there ARE some officer’s notes not given to me at my first request. I’m not even sure whether or not I should request another disclosure. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:11 pm 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:16 pm
Posts: 38
Would the following questions be useful during cross-examination?

1. What color is my car?
2. How many doors does my car have?
(The color of my car and the number of doors are not mentioned in the computer made “Ontario Offence Ticket in Narative Text” provided to me as the officer’s notes, but probably they can get this info by using the plate)

3. What was I wearing?
4. Was I wearing a pair of glasses?
5. Was that a pair of sunglasses or a pair of regular glasses?
6. What was the weather like?

7. What did you tell me about the speed of my car?
8. What did you tell me that the speed was 84 “Ontario Offence Ticket in Narative Text”, says Actual Speed: 80”?
9. Did you show me the laser reading?
10. Why did you not show me the laser reading?
11. Do you never show the driver laser reading?
12. Is that a bad practice to show the driver the laser reading?
13. Do the other police officers show the driver the laser reading?

Also I have a general question. Suppose, the officer would say that he told me that the speed of my car was 80 (actually, he told me that it was 84) or he would say that he showed me the radar reading (or he would say something else that is not true.) In this case, there will be his words against mine. So, what should be or done in such a case? Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:28 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 am
Posts: 1064
If the disclosure is really only what you received, it's a slam dunk. That being said, those are some of the absolute worst questions.

Why is the colour of your shirt or whether or not you were wearing khakis relevant? It's a speeding ticket. The officer is not required to remember what was on your dash, what color your seats were, or what was hanging from your mirror. Unless you're defending a seat belt violation and want to make a point about your shirt colour being the same as your belt, the question is a big waste of time.

Why is sunglasses versus glasses relevant?

Why 100 questions about showing the device? The officer is not required to show you anything, end of story. Whether he showed you, didn't show you, shows anyone, good practice to show, or other police officers show is irrelevant.

Your disclosure is missing the most critical information and you're arguing about what you're wearing. Start at the basics.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: If a cop claims that your speed was 84 km/hr in 60 zone
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:26 pm 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:16 pm
Posts: 38
bend wrote:
If the disclosure is really only what you received, it's a slam dunk. That being said, those are some of the absolute worst questions.

Why is the colour of your shirt or whether or not you were wearing khakis relevant? It's a speeding ticket. The officer is not required to remember what was on your dash, what color your seats were, or what was hanging from your mirror. Unless you're defending a seat belt violation and want to make a point about your shirt colour being the same as your belt, the question is a big waste of time.

Why is sunglasses versus glasses relevant?

Why 100 questions about showing the device? The officer is not required to show you anything, end of story. Whether he showed you, didn't show you, shows anyone, good practice to show, or other police officers show is irrelevant.

Your disclosure is missing the most critical information and you're arguing about what you're wearing. Start at the basics.


Thank you, Bend. I do appreciate your reply. Like I said, I have no experience with cross-examination. So, it leaves just the following questions:

Would the following questions be useful during cross-examination?

1. What color is my car?
2. How many doors does my car have?
(The color of my car and the number of doors are not mentioned in the computer made “Ontario Offence Ticket in Narative Text” provided to me as the officer’s notes, but probably they can get this info by using the plate)

3. What did you tell me about the speed of my car?
4. Why did you tell me that the speed was 84 but “Ontario Offence Ticket in Narative Text”, says Actual Speed: 80”?

A general question: Suppose, the officer would say that he told me that the speed of my car was 80 (actually, he told me that it was 84) In this case, there will be his words against mine. So, what should be or done in such a case?

As for disclosure, do you think I should make another request for disclosure? If yes, could you please let me know what do you think about the following request? Thanks.

General Request

We are scheduled to appear in courtroom to answer the above charge. With regard to the above matter and in light of the guidelines set out in R. v. Stinchcombe, 1991 CANLII 45 (S.C.C.), and subsequent cases, we are requesting that you provide us with all relevant information and documentation in order to make full answer and defense to the above charge.

Specific Request

Without limiting the generality of the above request, we ask that you also include:

o A copy of both sides of the officer’s copies of the ticket (Notices of Offence) and any notes from the officer pertaining this case. Alternatively given we’ve received a copy of one side of the officer’s copies of the ticket and the computer made “Ontario Offence Ticket in Narative Text”, please provide a signed letter by appropriate authorities confirming that no other documents of this nature exist and will be used in this case.
o A typed version of any hand written notes including the hand written notes related to the make, model, and serial number of the unit used to measure the velocity of the car, its owner’s manual and the officer’s training record specific to the said unit
o The following records (in readable form) relating to the incident, and to training, internal directives, policies and the identity of various kinds of equipment used by the Police:
1. Occurrence report
3. Video /Audio Evidence
4. The make, model, and serial number of the unit used to measure the velocity of the car (radar/laser or specification of the other unit), and its full owner’s manual (all pages).
5. The officer’s training record specific to the said unit
6. Any repair history of the unit
7. Calibration Procedures
8. Records of the calibration of the unit used to measure the velocity
9. Official procedure for radar/laser equipment testing and operator training standards
10. Traffic Stop and Vehicle Search Procedures
o Any other evidence the Prosecutor intends to use at trial

Missing Information

We also request that you advise us of any information, which is not being disclosed and an explanation for such non-disclosure.

If you require further information from us or have any questions regarding our request for disclosure please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Cop Car Parked with 2 tires on Road for Speed Trap

LindMich

10

969

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:54 pm

matt123 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 33 km/h over in a 60 km/h zone - after I already saw the cop

bigbadwolf

9

1012

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Sonic View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Speed Trap - 79 in 50 zone

zerokarma

8

1970

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:33 am

bend View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. medical claims

chutter_khan

0

457

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:18 pm

chutter_khan View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Speed 140 in a posted 80 zone please help.

Poploo

5

1669

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:11 am

Radar Identified View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Insurance claims I was in an accident?

tom1331

4

237

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:31 pm

QBall View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 86 in 60km/h zone, reduced to 70., but .. speed limit is 70?

cloud145

0

764

Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:15 pm

cloud145 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Construction zone - no speed limit posted

christoph2

5

394

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:30 pm

DCamM View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Speeding Ticket Without Speed nor Zone Limit on Offence

Pailo

2

725

Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:06 pm

iFly55 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Construction Zone - Sped Up to Allow Traffic In - Speed Trap

gamerzfuse

7

894

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:24 am

gamerzfuse View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) careless driving because pedestrian claims my car hit her

[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2, 3, 4 ]

dude

58

1410

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:41 pm

jsherk View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Woman claims God told her to drive 100 mph in 30 mph area

WilsonBent

0

649

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:20 am

WilsonBent View the latest post

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Web Development & Search Engine Optimization
Home | Court Listings | Ontario Traffic Ticket

Copyright 2007 - 2017 © Microtekblue Inc. Web Development & Search Engine Optimization Service. We Support phpBB All Rights Reserved.