HTA section 79. (1) - Motor vehicle equipped with or carrying a speed measuring warning device
tdrive2

Insurance - Radar Detectors & Laser Jammers

by: tdrive2 on

Does anyone know if an insurance company would increase your rates if you got caught with a radar detector and or laser jammer?

Since a radar detector is 3 points would the company treat this the same as let's say 16-29 over?

Would they even increase your rates?

Getting caught with a radar detector does not mean that you were speeding.

So how would an insurance company deal with a charge like this?

tdrive2

What would an insurance company look upon worse?

A 40 over fine or a stunt driving charge (sec 172, 50 km/hr over)

---

OR

---

Getting caught with a laser jammer/ radar detector.

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

They'd treat it as a "conviction." Like speeding 1km/h to 49km/h, running a red, unsafe lane change etc etc etc.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
tdrive2

Im curious to hear what others say.

Maybe hwybear might have some input. Does insurance rates go up according to the amount of points the conviction was.

So would getting a speeding ticket at 16 or 29 over would raise my rates the same?

Does the company look at the charge and say X points for the fine = X much increase in insurance?

So back to the thread if you are taken to court and you get a 16 over speeding ticket this would result in the same insurance increase as having a radar detector because the points are the same?

FiReSTaRT

I am well informed on this issue. The insurance companies divide the convictions into minor and major.

Major = 49+km/h over the limit (with some it's like 45-46 over), stunting, careless, blotto driving

Minor = Everything else

Therefore, whether you're doing 1 over the limit or 44 over the limit, it's still treated as a "minor conviction," the same as running a stop, running a red, not signalling etc etc etc.

One may leave you without a rate increase. Two will either be forgiven or raise your rates 10-20% depending on the rating algorithm. Combine an at-fault accident or another ticket in a 3 year period with it, and some companies may refuse to insure you and you'd be forced to go through facility.

That's not such a bad thing though. For supersport motorcycles, facility gives the second lowest rates on the market lol

Another note: Points don't matter to the insurance industry.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

sorry, I know nothing about how insurance works or how they view points or not

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
FiReSTaRT

I learned that lesson the hard way at the age of 22. Reported a 5 over ticket to my insurance company and the rates went up 20%. Since then I made sure I stayed informed, made sure my documents were in order and and I fight every single moving violation ticket.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

FiReSTaRT wrote:Reported a 5 over ticket to my insurance company and the rates went up 20%.

:shock: Holy... When I was 22, I had a couple of tickets on my record, both for 15 over... my insurance company only gave me something like a $100 surcharge per year. :? Really depends on how finicky your insurer is on tickets.

FiReSTaRT

I had another ticket on the record. Got caught doing like 110-115 on the north end of the 400.

FiReSTaRT

Some companies will forgive one, others will forgive 2 in a 3-year period. The 20% increase was extra-nasty since I was under 25.

tdrive2

Oh FireStart that really sucks.

Getting caught for 115 on the 400 LOL!

I have seen people go through radar there over 140 and the guy not even move. Thats the autobahn of ontario.

What part was it at the OPP act alot different outside the GTA though with traffic maybee up near sudbury i understand.

Squishy what company are you insured with?

What were the tickets for (how much over)?

Post a Reply