Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

License Plate Colours
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:02 pm 

I wanted to know if you were allowed to have a pink, fully coloured, license plate on either your front or back? Does anyone know if this is allowed or if this would be against the law as our license plates are only white. Also would you be allowed a second decorative license plate without numbers on your vehicle after you had the two standard ones? Thank you so much for the help!

Re: License Plate Colours
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:10 pm 

Improper or invalid number plates and cab cards

Improper number plate

14. (1) Where a police officer or an officer appointed under this Act has reason to believe that,

(a) a number plate attached to a motor vehicle or trailer,

(i) has not been authorized under this Act for use on that vehicle,

(ii) was obtained by false pretences, or

(iii) has been defaced or altered;

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:30 am 

I would go on the confuse identity of the plate, it is not white as Ontario plates are supposed to be, or pending colour, obstruct plate

13. (1) No number other than that upon the number plate furnished by the Ministry shall be exposed on any part of a motor vehicle or trailer in such a position or manner as to confuse the identity of the number plate
13(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried

If it is plate protection you want, why not use a clear cover, protects plates, plate is still white

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:12 pm 

Thank you so much for the help.

It is actually someone I know who really wanted to have a fully covered pink license plate for personal reasons but I wasn't sure if that was allowed. I had trouble reading through the laws so your help is very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:22 pm 

Austen wrote:
Thank you so much for the help.

It is actually someone I know who really wanted to have a fully covered pink license plate for personal reasons but I wasn't sure if that was allowed. I had trouble reading through the laws so your help is very much appreciated.

I'm not sure whether your friend was considering coloring his plate somehow or using a cover. Either way, they are both illegal. The plate itself has to remain absolutely unaltered, or in the case of a cover, it's considered an obstruction (see hwybear's post). They'll sell the covers at Canadian Tire, but they'll clearly state "off-road use only". They usually come in tints of blue, black, or clear. Even if you do decide to use the clear, you'll have to keep an eye on it. Yellowing with age/sunlight, excessive stone chip damage, dirt on the inside, etc and it's considered once again an obstruction.

Plate frames are fine. As long as everything on your plate is free of obstruction and it doesn't cover your sticker, you are fine. Front decorative plates, which you see in other places, are not allowed. Ontario requires both front and back plates at all times. Could you add a decorative plate alongside the others? Probably, as long as it wasn't obstructing your current plates or can be mistaken for an actual license plate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:16 pm 

I see a lot of Portuguese / Italian kids in my neighbourhood who have EU style license plates in their front or back windshields for decorative purposes. Given the amount I see and the kind of cars they are in, i.e. a Honda Civic with an oversized muffler, usually attempting to drive pretty fast, I am presuming they aren't illegal or they would all have been pulled over by now and had them removed. So maybe they can get a pink version of that for their window?