Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Disobey official sign - Ottawa Municipal Bylaw Section 86
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:37 pm 

I was given this ticket for rolling through a stop sign. I'm not sure that I really rolled through, because I always come to a full stop. This time however, there were tens of bicycle riders coasting through the same stop sign and I may have coasted.
The police officer was parked well back of the intersection and the approach path to the stop sign is partially obscured by the sign. The police man said I hadn't come to a complete stop, perhaps 10 to 15 km per hour, but since I thought I had stopped, he gave me this reduced ticket.
I'm of the opinion I should plead not guilty, but not sure if it's worth the time and distance to fight a $35 ticket.

Question: Since the ticket doesn't say what the "official sign" was, how could I argue, "NOT GUILTY"?

What are the chances of having the ticket dropped? (It doesn't carry any demerit points and isn't on my record).

Re: Disobey official sign - Ottawa Municipal Bylaw Section 8
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:54 pm 

dyckjd wrote:
I was given this ticket for rolling through a stop sign. I'm not sure that I really rolled through, because I always come to a full stop. This time however, there were tens of bicycle riders coasting through the same stop sign and I may have coasted.
The police officer was parked well back of the intersection and the approach path to the stop sign is partially obscured by the sign. The police man said I hadn't come to a complete stop, perhaps 10 to 15 km per hour, but since I thought I had stopped, he gave me this reduced ticket.
I'm of the opinion I should plead not guilty, but not sure if it's worth the time and distance to fight a $35 ticket.

Question: Since the ticket doesn't say what the "official sign" was, how could I argue, "NOT GUILTY"?

What are the chances of having the ticket dropped? (It doesn't carry any demerit points and isn't on my record).

If there's no conviction and thus no insurance rate increase, then just pay this thing and get it over with, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:00 am 

Years ago when I was living in Ottawa, I got charged with exactly this offence. Zero demerit points, nothing on your driver record, no insurance increase... as diehard said. I'd suggest paying it.