Ottawa - Are "truck Or Van Only" Parking Signs Legit?

Dubya

Ottawa - Are "truck Or Van Only" Parking Signs Legit?

Unread post by Dubya »

Hi all,

Just got a City of Ottawa ticket from a parking lot company for "Unauthorized Parking" for parking my car in a spot that was clearly marked "Trucks or Vans only". Was late for a meeting and took the first available spot.

I understand the purpose of these signs, but would like to know if these are "legally binding?" signs... As in, are these signs that warrant an "Unauthorized Parking" charge?

The attached pic shows my car, doesn't show the sign clearly tho.. Probably doesn't matter, but the spot is clearly too small for a vehicle any wider than mine.. I had to park on an angle just so I could open my door.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments
A better pic of the sign
A better pic of the sign
1.png (136.36 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
0.jpg
0.jpg (51.54 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Well first off is it an actual Provincial offence ticket issued by an actual bylaw officer or something served by a private company on private property?

Also, what is the offence, act and section number on your ticket?

Dubya

Unread post by Dubya »

Yes and yes. It is a "Form 13 - Ontario Court of Justice Provincial Offences Act" ticket that was issued by Precise Parklink, a private company.

The offence is "2003-530 112": "Unauthorized parking - private property(includes expired meters)"

Decatur

Posting Awards

Unread post by Decatur »

They are "legit" and legal. The persons issuing them would be sworn as bylaw officers for enforcement on that property.

Bottom line is.... It's private property and you have to follow their rules.

Non-payment would result in no renewal of your vehicle permit until it's paid.

Dubya

Unread post by Dubya »

Huh.. good to know.. guess I'll be payin the ticket. Just out of curiosity though, if I were to challenge the ticket, would I have less of a likelihood of winning since the ticket was issued on private property?