Red Light Ticket - 144(18)

Ravina
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined:

Red Light Ticket - 144(18)

Unread post by Ravina on

I search the forums and couldn't find an answer, hopefully I am not duplicating someone's post.

My wife didn't completely stop at a red light before turning right. Under cover cop pulled her over and gave her a Fail to stop at Red light - 3 points and $325. I am in Halton. Hopefully you guys can help

1) What can I get this reduced to if I go to court. Normally they will offer a lesser charge. I am assuming some sort of fail to stop with zero points.
2) For disclosure, do I ask for this when I go to set the court date or do I wait some time after that.

Any other tips? I spoke to a traffic ticket specialist and they said they can either get me off completely to have it reduced to zero points and $110. I wander what reduced charge would be.

Please help!! Thanks so much in advance


User avatar
Radar Identified
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2881
Joined:
Location: Toronto

Moderator

Unread post by Radar Identified on

1. You can probably get it reduced to "fail to proceed as directed" or "disobey lane light."
2. Usually you would ask for disclosure after you get a Notice of Trial.

Basically the first step is to file the paperwork to set up the trial date.

Disclosure may reveal some sort of deficiency in the officer's notes - didn't observe the traffic lights were functioning properly, didn't properly observe the offence (ie. must see the light go red first THEN observe vehicle enter the intersection against the red), etc. Keep us posted. If there are no problems with the officer's notes, then you could probably look at a plea-bargain to one of the above-mentioned charges.
* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca


Ravina
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined:

Unread post by Ravina on

Radar Identified wrote:1. You can probably get it reduced to "fail to proceed as directed" or "disobey lane light."
2. Usually you would ask for disclosure after you get a Notice of Trial.

Basically the first step is to file the paperwork to set up the trial date.

Disclosure may reveal some sort of deficiency in the officer's notes - didn't observe the traffic lights were functioning properly, didn't properly observe the offence (ie. must see the light go red first THEN observe vehicle enter the intersection against the red), etc. Keep us posted. If there are no problems with the officer's notes, then you could probably look at a plea-bargain to one of the above-mentioned charges.
Thanks so much, does it make sense to first go there to plea guilty with a lesser charge and see what the prosecutor offers. If no reduction in points, can I then choose trial. Also, do I need anything to go in my wife's place?


Stanton
High Authority
High Authority
Posts: 2111
Joined:
Location: Ontario

Unread post by Stanton on

You have to select the trial option for any type of deal, the other two options are simply you pleading guilty to the Justice of the Peace. Don't get too hung up on points, since they have very little impact unless your wife has numerous other convictions.

You will need some type of documentation from your wife showing that she is allowing you to represent her and make decisions on her behalf. It might not hurt for her to be present if you're thinking of going to trial.


sidmuer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined:

Unread post by sidmuer on

actually, don't we speak to the crown before the JP begins.
Then the crown usually gives us the option of a guilty plea to a lesser charge and or fine, or to choose trial option to fully fight it, and risk loosing and getting slapped with the full charge?
Stanton wrote:You have to select the trial option for any type of deal, the other two options are simply you pleading guilty to the Justice of the Peace. Don't get too hung up on points, since they have very little impact unless your wife has numerous other convictions.

You will need some type of documentation from your wife showing that she is allowing you to represent her and make decisions on her behalf. It might not hurt for her to be present if you're thinking of going to trial.


User avatar
Radar Identified
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2881
Joined:
Location: Toronto

Moderator

Unread post by Radar Identified on

sidmuer wrote:actually, don't we speak to the crown before the JP begins.
You do, however Stanton is referring to the stage where you actually file the paperwork to request the trial.




* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca


Post Reply

Return to “Red Light Camera Ticket”