Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

RED LIGHT-FAIL TO STOP HTA 144(18)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:54 pm 

Today I got ticketd for section HTA 144-18 Here is the scenario:
I was driving at the speed limit and slowing down as I was approaching the signal to make a right turn. As I was approaching the signal all traffic were stopped (there was a huge presence of police cars in that area) (James snow Parkway and Main Street in Milton). At the lights, I stopped my car for about 3 Seconds to observe if there are any vehicles coming and when I made sure there were none, I made a right turn (I had the right of way) and I had made sure that it was safe to make a right turn. Since there was a huge presense of police cars all over that area, I drove very slowly all throught and a cop pulled me over. I reached the intersection at a time when all the vehicles in the oncoming direction were stopped due to all signals turning RED before my signal turned GREEN. The cop was very polite and mentioned that they are doing a "Project" due to accidents in that area and said that I did not come to a complete stop at the RED Light before making the right turn (I DID COME TO A COMPLETE STOP). She said an officer spotted me at the intersection who was observing all the cars and I am being ticketed. I did not argue as I know that there is no point arguing with a COP.
I Plan to fight the ticket, but what do I have to do to win the ticket or get it thrown out!! Please help!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:37 pm 

Request disclosure first this will give you a clear idea of their perspective and how they will be trying to get your convicted. From the sound of things it seems that there are two officers involved and BOTH will need to attend court or else you will win. If one officer allegedly spotted you and then flagged the other to pull you over then both must be there to testify.

RED LIGHT-FAIL TO STOP HTA 144(18)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:32 am 

Sounds like a plan. I will of course fight it out. I checked the area today and there is no way an officer be in his/her cruiser be at the intersection or closer as the area is somewhat bushy area with mud and no place to park their car on the sidewalk or nearby.
Interesting this is that they flagged me only after passing one more set of lights after I made the right turn; meaning I was driving slowly (or course within speed limit) because of the police presence and I was thinking there was an accident of some sort. And I was constantly looking in my rear view mirror and there was no officer behind me. Suddenly another cruiser came and pulled me over and I was surprised why they caught me. I thought for a while that I was pulled over for some sort of routine check!!!!