Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

HTA 144(18) - Red Light
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:23 pm 

It's probably too late now as I have my trial in 13 hours, however, thought I'd post anyway.

I was travelling on a road (at speed limit). The traffic light turned yellow but I felt that I didn't have enough time to stop so I continued through the intersection (no change in speed). The light turned red as I was going through the intersection. I immediately noticed an unmarked police car parked on the opposite side of the intersection (facing me) about 2-3 car lengths back. As I passed him, he did a U-turn and pulled me over. He explained that my ticket was for running a red light. He also said that when the light turned yellow, I sped up and by the time I entered the intersection, the light was red (I think his words were "we saw you speed up when the light turned yellow" which leads me to think he has a witness although I did not look into his car to see if someone else was there). I retorted by telling him that I did not increase my speed and the light didn't turn red until I was in the intersection. I also mentioned that I felt that I was too close to the intersection to stop safely. He stated that he was at that intersection specifically to watch for red light runners as the area (know for having several bars) is known for having intoxicated people walking around. I saw noone.

Anyway, the way I see it, it's my word against his (and possibly a witness). Does anyone have any insight please?

Aside from the defense above, could I possibly use the "right to a speedy trial defense"? It's been 8 months since the ticket was issued and just over 6 months since the notice of Trial was issued.

Also, the information on the ticket itself is correct, however, the notice of trial states that the alleged infraction occurred at 11:15am on that given day. The actual time of the alleged infraction occurred at 1:15am

Any thoughts here would be most appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:53 pm 

I jsut read this. How did you make out?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:15 pm 

Well....the officer showed up and given that I didn't file for disclosure (wish I knew about that sooner), I was second guessing whether or not I was right in fighting this ticket. The prosecutor advised me that the police officer had a clear line of sigth the whole time. He offered me fail to stop at amber light (same points, same fine) different subsection, so I took it.