Does anybody know when a child should be allowed to sit in the front seat of a car?
I tried looking around for answers but nobody has a definite answer.
I've heard different answers ranging from age 8 to age 14.
I know air bags can cause serious injury to children and sometimes it can be fatal.
However I can't find any law that sets out the guidelines.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Certainly it's not the safest position, but if such a law existed you would not be legally able to transport a child in a vehicle with only one row of seats (e.g. standard pickup, sports car).
(8) Despite subsections (7) and (7.1), a pre-school to primary grade child shall not be secured in a seating position if the seating position has a front air bag that has not been turned off or cannot be turned off. O. Reg. 195/05, s. 1; O. Reg. 236/09, s. 2 (9).
8. (1) Passengers under eight years old are classified as follows for the purposes of this section:
1. Children weighing less than nine kilograms are classified as infants.
2. Children weighing nine kilograms or more but less than 18 kilograms are classified as toddlers.
3. Children weighing 18 kilograms or more but less than 36 kilograms and who are less than 145 centimetres tall are classified as pre-school to primary grade children. O. Reg. 195/05, s. 1.
But the truth is I had no idea when he would be allowed in the front "legally" although even if he was, I would not let him ride in the front anyway.
Thank you bend for the info.
I just like one clarification, does section 3 mean that if the kid is over 145 cm tall and over 36 Kg, he/she can ride in the front seat, even if the air bag can not be disabled? Am I understanding this correctly?
You almost got it right.Observer135 wrote:I just like one clarification, does section 3 mean that if the kid is over 145 cm tall and over 36 Kg, he/she can ride in the front seat, even if the air bag can not be disabled? Am I understanding this correctly?
Once a child graduates from a booster seat, there's no more restrictions and they can use any seat with just a belt.
Kids restricted to booster seats have to fall under ALL three categories:
- Under 8 years of age
- Between 18 kilograms and 36 kilograms
- Less than 145 centimetres tall
- Similar Topics
New post Red Light Camera: Front of car over intersection marking????
Last post by Help with HTAreplies: 9
Thu May 17, 2018 4:49 pm
Posted in Failing to obey a stop sign, traffic control stop/slow sign, traffic light or railway crossing signalby cjs in Failing to obey a stop sign, traffic control stop/slow sign, traffic light or railway crossing signalLast post by Help with HTA Thu May 17, 2018 4:49 pm
New post Traffic ticket for not properly securing a seat belt
Last post by Zatotareplies: 7 Last post by Zatota Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:57 am
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:57 am
Posted in Driver failing to ensure infant/child passenger is properly secured
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests