More weird driving

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, Decatur, bend

User avatar
Radar Identified
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2881
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Toronto

Moderator

More weird driving

by: Radar Identified on
Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:51 pm

You know anything about this one, bear?

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Wrong+d ... story.html

:shock:

I'd think she'd either have to be severely impaired or suffering a serious medical condition to drive 27 kilometres ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE 401. I can't imagine someone being so stupid that they'd actually... oh wait, she's from the Toronto area, I can see that happening... never mind...


User avatar
Squishy
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:45 am
Location: Orillia
Contact:

by: Squishy on
Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:53 pm

Hey, Brampton is several times worse than Toronto; I'd say it's worse than Scarborough. There are good parts of Brampton, but WOW some of the areas...I could see this happening.

I had a Bramptonite argue with me on the pronunciation of 'McLaughlin Road' - "But it's 'Sarah Mick-Lock-Lin'!" Sheesh.

On the same subject, a bit over 20 years ago my parents tried to drive up a Gardiner off-ramp in their little Chevette. Oncoming headlights clued them in soon enough.
         Image


User avatar
FiReSTaRT
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: GTA

by: FiReSTaRT on
Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:13 pm

The scary part is that she probably pays less for insurance than I do (25+ but under 30, clean record). As for Brampton, it is a bit crazy but highway 10 in general is brutal all the way down to the lake and Markham/Richmond Hill area is still a bit worse. I need to have a coin dispenser loaded with pennies mounted on my bike for that area :twisted:
What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.


User avatar
Squishy
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:45 am
Location: Orillia
Contact:

by: Squishy on
Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:36 pm

Hey, good drivers are welcome to move up here. :D

We pay $47/mo for the Escort, $53/mo for the Escape.
         Image


User avatar
FiReSTaRT
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: GTA

by: FiReSTaRT on
Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:54 pm

I'm paying about a g-note a pop for the car (4-door import sedan, with whopping 75hp, 1mil liability) and for the bike (older 600cc supersport). On a good note, next renewal, I'll be over 30 and married :twisted:
What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.


User avatar
Reflections
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1490
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:49 pm
Location: somewhere in traffic

Moderator

by: Reflections on
Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:41 pm

Squishy wrote:Hey, good drivers are welcome to move up here. :D

We pay $47/mo for the Escort, $53/mo for the Escape.
Rates are low cause no one will steal an Escort and the tank is so small on the Escape you might get to Barrie and have to fill up again..... :D :D :D :D
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


User avatar
Radar Identified
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2881
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Toronto

Moderator

by: Radar Identified on
Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:43 am

Squishy wrote:Hey, Brampton is several times worse than Toronto; I'd say it's worse than Scarborough.
Worse in terms of people who don't know how to drive? I live in Scarborough, I'd say that about 70% of the drivers who live in this part of the city have absolutely no clue about anything related to driving. I don't know if Brampton is worse but I'd say they're both horrible. Twice today I was turning left on Victoria Park, completely in the left turning lane, and had minivans stop in the left lane just slightly behind my rear bumper but entirely in the lane next to me, and then after I completed my turn, they went straight ahead. :x No part of my vehicle encroached on their lane, either. Then there was the guy who was driving so slowly I overtook him while walking my dog. Then the guy who stopped at a green light (I was in cross-traffic), and then drove through the intersection after the light turned red. Then... ah, well, you know.

As for insurance... mine is $207/mo for a 2007 Honda Civic, $2 million liability, 30K km/yr. :shock: My wife's is $200/mo for a 2006 Saturn Ion, business use, driving all over York Region. :shock: I'm 30 and she's 28.


User avatar
Squishy
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:45 am
Location: Orillia
Contact:

by: Squishy on
Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:47 am

Reflections wrote:Rates are low cause no one will steal an Escort and the tank is so small on the Escape you might get to Barrie and have to fill up again..... :D :D :D :D
Our Escape goes 550-600 km on a tank. :P

We don't buy collision or comprehensive, though. Otherwise, it would be around $60/mo for each of the cars, I think. I can fix or patch up minor damage, not-at-fault collisions are still covered under direct compensation, and if we're at fault, then that's just too bad for us and we should learn to drive. :oops: The only risk is with a hit-and-run, maybe a break-in if we park it in Brampton or the Malvern area. :lol:
Radar Identified wrote:Worse in terms of people who don't know how to drive? I live in Scarborough, I'd say that about 70% of the drivers who live in this part of the city have absolutely no clue about anything related to driving. I don't know if Brampton is worse but I'd say they're both horrible. Twice today I was turning left on Victoria Park, completely in the left turning lane, and had minivans stop in the left lane just slightly behind my rear bumper but entirely in the lane next to me, and then after I completed my turn, they went straight ahead. :x No part of my vehicle encroached on their lane, either. Then there was the guy who was driving so slowly I overtook him while walking my dog. Then the guy who stopped at a green light (I was in cross-traffic), and then drove through the intersection after the light turned red. Then... ah, well, you know.

As for insurance... mine is $207/mo for a 2007 Honda Civic, $2 million liability, 30K km/yr. :shock: My wife's is $200/mo for a 2006 Saturn Ion, business use, driving all over York Region. :shock: I'm 30 and she's 28.
Scarborough is full of clueless drivers, but Brampton is full of aggressive drivers. I don't know which is worse. Both can come out of nowhere, but I think the clueless drivers are easier to spot and avoid. Maybe it's because I lived in Scarborough for three years, or maybe it's because the clueless drivers are usually in front of you, while the aggressive drivers blast by you from behind. Now get someone who is both clueless and aggressive, and maybe you end up with that news article above. "Why are all these people going the wrong way PEOPLE SHOULD LEARN TO DRIVE!"
         Image


User avatar
hwybear
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2933
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!

Moderator

by: hwybear on
Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:27 am

Radar Identified wrote:You know anything about this one, bear?

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Wrong+d ... story.html

:shock: .
this was another shift that had the pleasure of dealing with this person. The incident is before the courts, so I can not comment.
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


User avatar
racer
VIP
VIP
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:27 pm
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Contact:

by: racer on
Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:35 pm

A driver receives a call on the handfree.

Caller: "Honey, it's on the news, there is a driver travelling the wrong way on a highway where you are!"

Driver: "One?!?!?! There are THOUSANDS!!!"
"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com


User avatar
hwybear
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2933
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!

Moderator

by: hwybear on
Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


User avatar
Radar Identified
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2881
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Toronto

Moderator

by: Radar Identified on
Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:33 pm

hwybear wrote:The incident is before the courts, so I can not comment.
Roger.
racer wrote:A driver receives a call on the handfree.

Caller: "Honey, it's on the news, there is a driver travelling the wrong way on a highway where you are!"

Driver: "One?!?!?! There are THOUSANDS!!!"
Caller: "THOUSANDS?! WOW!"

Driver: "Yeah! And I'll bet I get blamed for bad driving! Jeez, can you believe people these days? I mean, everyone's on the wrong side of the road, and they say I'm a bad driver 'cuz I just had 37 beers! Can you imagine?"

Caller: Pauses... :? Thinks... :idea: Realizes... :shock:

Driver: "Oh, thank goodness! Here comes a police car right now!"

Click...


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics

Return to “General Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests