Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

G1 driver unacompanied by qualified driver penalties
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:11 pm 

Hello, yesterday I was driving home from a football game with my moms car (that she let me take) when I went through a spot check. Low and behold, I was pulled over and given a fine for "G1 driver unacompanied by qualified driver" that was 110$. Now my question is, will I be receiving a license suspension? The officer never said a thing about it to my mother or I, so it makes me painfully curious. Was the police officer sympathetic of my situation or will I be receiving a letter in the mail that I have to go surrender it? If that's the case, could I go surrender it today so that my suspension is put in place right away? All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: G1 driver unacompanied by qualified driver penalties
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:39 pm 
High Authority

Police don't have discretion regarding the suspension, it's automatically applied by the Ministry upon conviction.

You won't be able to surrender your licence and start the suspension until you either admit guilt and pay your ticket or get found guilty at trial.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:11 pm 

Thanks for the information. Now that I've payed my ticket, can I actually go to the police department and surrender my license? Or will I have to wait till I recieve my notice in the mail. Also, if you know, how much will my insurance go up by? Will I even be able to get insurance?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:43 pm 
High Authority

You need to surrender your licence to the MTO, not the police. I'm not sure how soon they'd be aware of the conviction/suspension and accept your licence.

In terms of insurance, I'm sure you'll be able to get some, but it could be expensive. It varies so much from one provider to the next that you'd have to call to find out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:10 am 

RyanAdns wrote:
Hello, yesterday I was driving home from a football game with my moms car (that she let me take) when I went through a spot check. Low and behold, I was pulled over and given a fine for "G1 driver unacompanied by qualified driver" that was 110$. Now my question is, will I be receiving a license suspension? The officer never said a thing about it to my mother or I, so it makes me painfully curious. Was the police officer sympathetic of my situation or will I be receiving a letter in the mail that I have to go surrender it? If that's the case, could I go surrender it today so that my suspension is put in place right away? All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Why would you have to show id at a ride program?

They just sniff you and you carry on.

Cheers
Viper1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:22 am 

Don't ask me why, I look much older then I do. I have a full beard infact, anyways, I guess I'll just wait in the mail for my notice before I do anything but does anyone have any idea about the insurance? My mom read something online which said if you have less then 4 years driving and receive a major you'll need to go to a company that specializes in dangerous driving. I really hope this is not true, but like I said before, any information helps. Thanks.