Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Failing to Stop.. early resolution meet coming - what to do?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:54 pm 

I was given a ticket in May under section 136 - failure to stop. I did come to a stop, though probably a rolling one as it was at night and there were no other cars. The police were parked in the dark, down the cross street from where I stopped with lights out. The office didn't really have any conversation with me that evening, just shined the light in my eyes, told me it was all being recorded and asked me why I didn't stop.

I've opted for the early resolution to try to avoid the demerit points at the very least, and I've got that meeting coming up quickly!

I'd appreciate anyones help on what to expect in this first meeting, and how to best prepare myself for the conversation and hopefully a mutually agreeable outcome.

I've had tickets in the past, though nothing with points and nothing severe, just low level speeding (can't recall how long ago).

Re: Failing to Stop.. early resolution meet coming - what to
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:51 pm 
High Authority

I'd suggest thinking of it like a job interview. Dress presentable and be polite and professional. If demerit points are your main concern, then advise the Crown of that and see what they offer. They may be able to offer a plea deal to a different offence that doesn't carry any points.

They'll probably encourage you to accept the deal on the spot. They may say it's a one time offer, but typically the deal will still be valid until the day of the trial. If you like it, obviously accept, but otherwise there's nothing wrong asking for some time to review disclosure, etc. before you decide.

T_Driver wrote:
I did come to a stop, though probably a rolling one

And not to be a jerk, but a rolling stop isn't a stop, it's simply slowing down. If you didn't come to a full stop, you committed the offence no matter how slowly you may have rolled through.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:44 am 

Do these meetings typically happen as scheduled - or are you waiting like a trial ... and how long do they take?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:53 pm 

A quick update for anyone interested ...

I showed up to the meeting, got called to the room and before even walking in was asked if I wanted to avoid the demerit points - to which I answered yes - and was given the alternate of a lesser ticket, with fine, no points. Agreed. Went back into the waiting area until I was called again in front of a justice where I plead guilty to the lesser fine. Into another room to pay my fine and on my way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:35 pm 

what was the lesser ticket? Was it still an HTA ticket that affects insurance or was it a bylaw one for the sign? Just wondering as I have a disobey sign ticket pending as well. Thanks.