Can I Get A Ticket?

stav

Can I Get A Ticket?

Unread post by stav »

Today I was at a 4 way intersection (with stop signs). I stopped to make a right, and as I made the right hand turn a bus approached with it's lights on. It was still moving so I continued going. If I had stopped, I would of stopped right in the middle of the crosswalk, forcing people to walk into the road to go around my car (which seems pretty unsafe to me). By the time my car was at about the middle of the bus, the bus came to a full stop and opened the stop sign. Can I get a ticket for this? I was under the impression the lights are just a warning and you only have to stop for the bus if the bus is stopped. Plus, I felt like I didn't have enough room to stop. Had I stopped, the nose of my car would have been at the same point of as the nose of the bus, blocking the crosswalk. I'm super paranoid I'm going to get a ticket, even though I think I made the right choice.

hecubus

Unread post by hecubus »

stav wrote:Can I get a ticket for this?

The following is Section 175(11) of the Highway Traffic Act:

Duty of drivers when school bus stopped

(11) Every driver or street car operator, when meeting on a highway, other than a highway with a median strip, a stopped school bus that has its overhead red signal-lights flashing, shall stop before reaching the bus and shall not proceed until the bus moves or the overhead red signal-lights have stopped flashing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 175 (11).

Idem

(12) Every driver or street car operator on a highway, when approaching from the rear a stopped school bus that has its overhead red signal-lights flashing, shall stop at least twenty metres before reaching the bus and shall not proceed until the bus moves or the overhead red signal-lights have stopped flashing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 175 (12).

I've added the bolding on the phrase "a stopped school bus". So theoretically, you shouldn't be charged given that you indicated the school bus was "was still moving" when you performed the right hand turn.