feeyette

Forgot My Insurance Papers

by: feeyette on

I made a an illegal left turn because I missed the no left turn sign. When I got pulled over for making the illegal left, it turns out I had forgotten to put my insurance card back in my car. :( So no papers to show mr. police officer.

I now have two tickets and a summons to show up in court for a violation of CAIA 2(1)(a) "Operate motor vehicle without insurance" and HTA 182(2) "Disobey sign". I was told that all I have to do is show up and show proof of insurance and I wouldn't get fined for the CAIA violation.

Is this really the case, or should I be more concerned about this?

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Summons seem like a fix-it ticket. Don't miss the date!!! In light of that offense, the illegal left turn is very small.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
pvotrainer

by: pvotrainer on

If you don't show up you will be convicted of driving without insurance, a $5000.00 minimum fine. The correct charge should have been Fail to produce insurance card, a $50 fine, unless you didn't have insurance at the time.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

pvotrainer wrote: The correct charge should have been Fail to produce insurance card, a $50 fine, unless you didn't have insurance at the time.

It is still a correct charge (officer discretion) whether we believe the person has insurance or trying to pull a fast one. There is little to no way to tell at roadside if there valid insurance or not. Certainly wish Insurance companies would be on board with MTO and update insurance stuff daily linked to the licence plate.

Correct fine = $65 or $210 for a CMV

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
pvotrainer

by: pvotrainer on

Your right on the fine (65) I didn't include the surcharge. I've done this for 21 years, and a copper that Charges No Ins for fail to have ins card is lazy. It is a reverse onus, but you still need evidence of the charge. An officer has 2 years to lay a no insurance charge. It requires ordering certified documents from the MTO and then making a phone call to the insurance company listed on the document.

The Insurance comps and MTO have been taking for years and are getting closer. It may happen when the MTO gets rid of the front plate and Validation sticker requirement.

Post a Reply