distressed83

Impounded Car For Expired Drivers License

by: distressed83 on

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Ontario

Hello,

Im a holder of Ontario license from ottawa, I work in quebec montreal and have a car registered to my company with quebec plates. Last night I got pulled over because the car plates/registration was expired 10 days ago. I was asked to prove insurance,registration and license, I provided them and to my shock found that license as well was expired as of January 3rd 2012. I was unaware of the situation as I wasn't in ottawa to receive renewals. I got Fined 444$ for expired registration and 444$ for "driven a road vehicle without being the holder of a driver's license of the appropriate class" and had my car impounded for 30 days and impound and storage fees. I realize ignorance is no excuse but I genuinely was not aware of any of this, my issue at this point is not the tickets but I really need my car back, as I rely on my car for work. Is there anyway to get my car out before 30days? please any help or advise. thank you

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Just to confirm, this occurred in Quebec?

Best I could find was this page on Quebec Automobile Insurance Corporation website (Quebec's MTO): http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_li ... eclaim.php

They have a form you can use to reclaim your vehicle early if it has been impounded for 30 days. Unfortunately the form states the following:

Vehicle seized because you were not the holder of a licence (no licence or expired licence).

If the vehicle was seized for this reason AND you were the driver, you cannot apply for the vehicle to be released from seizure.

Not sure if there's any recourse through the Courts. And please note, I'm only going by what their website says. I have no personal experience/knowledge with Quebec impound laws.

Post a Reply