A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

BelSlySTi

O.p.p Criuser Impounded Under 172

by: BelSlySTi on

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/510889

OPP officer charged for stunt driving at 165 km/h

February 10, 2009

By John Burman

Hamilton Spectator

Brantford – The OPP have charged one of their own with stunt driving.

The OPP said today an OPP intelligence officer has been charged with speeding after getting caught speeding 65 km over the limit.

Brant County OPP clocked the unmarked cruiser doing 165 km/h in a 100 zone on Highway 403 Jan. 31.

Detective Constable Heidi Fischer, who has been with the OPP four years, was on duty at the time.

But OPP Inspector Dave Ross said today an investigation found that the officer was not within the lawful execution of her duties at the time. Ross is the deputy director, of the OPP corporate communications bureau.

Ross did not say what time of day the car was stopped or if there was any other traffic on the highway.

Fischer is posted to the provincial operations intelligence bureau at OPP general headquarters in Orillia.

The officers drivers licence was suspended for the required 7 days and the OPP unmarked vehicle was impounded for 7 days.

Fischer is charged with driving 50 km/h or more over the posted speed limit, contrary to the Highway Traffic Act.

She will appear in Brantford provincial court March 24.

Section 172 of the Highway Traffic Act covering high speeds is a law OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino has championed in a highly publicized bid to crack down on "stunt driving" in the province.

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Wow, I thought I'd never see a cruiser impounded with a Racing charge. Apparently there are limits to "lawful execution of duties", not just whenever cop's on a shift.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

This incident is funny and stupid at the same time. I guess Fantino wasn't kidding when he said they'd seize their own cruisers. :shock: I wonder which tow truck company got the call to impound the vehicle, and are the taxpayers going to be hit with the impound fee or is the officer paying out of her pocket?

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Meh, it's gonna be us taxpayers most likely, but the police station might exercise early release under 172.(9), but that would make a cop a thief of public property:lol:.

Cop will likely be charged with Racing and pay his own fine, but not impound I don't think.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

um, that's HER own fine......

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
BelSlySTi

Apparently the OPP has serious problems with Street Racers within it's ranks, 3 officers charged so far, and the total frontline for the OPP is?

Anyone know what impound lot this cruiser would have been taken too?

An address would be nice.

Last edited by BelSlySTi on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
BelSlySTi

M0J0 wrote:HAHA, that police car was NOT impounded!

It was not a cruiser, it was unmarked!

They most certainly did impound the car in question, they just did'nt mention it until today that there is now 2 definitions for the word impoundment!

March 24th is the Damn Street Racers day in court, I would bet the farm on the verdict, and to be honest I hope she does get off!

This law is a joke!

tdrive2

by: tdrive2 on

The law is a joke.

Not that i care but it shows how fast even the police drive. Other cops to have been charged with this law.

This one really gets peoples attention. Not only was she speeding like mad, she didnt even have her lights on, was not on call or to an emergency and out of her zone?

May i ask what was she doing exactly? Why would an officer be way out of zone anyways while supposed to be on shift.

Maybee its one thing for an officer to speed for legitimate purposes. Perhaps even to get to an accident or catch someone or make a court time.

But i think its really un acceptable that the people who enforce these laws and write tickets to us for hundreds of dollars would speed like this while not even on call and to top that not even her own patrol region!!!!

Mind you she like all other thousands of people who have been screwed over by this law should not have the car impounded. The other officer is not the judge, jury, and executioner at the side of the road.

She like all the other thousands who have been screwed have been charged guilty without a fair trial. That is wrong and will always be.

camber

by: camber on

M0J0 wrote:HAHA, that police car was NOT impounded!

Correct.

The car is/was being held at a "police facility" for unknown "security reasons". So, much for Fantino's claim of parity(or just following the law) after the OPP messed up the previous two HTA 172 charges against OPP officers. :roll:

Anyone know the fee schedule for the fantasyland OPP run "impound facility"(the way HTA 172 states)? :lol:

Ross(Insp. Dave Ross) said the cruiser is impounded in a police facility rather than a public pound for security reasons.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009 ... 6-sun.html
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

And again Fantino reminds us that

Fantino wrote:... since the law was passed, the number of fatal accidents on OPP-patrolled highways dropped by 130 last year from 2007.

He fails to remember $1.40 gasoline i summer of '08 VS $0.95 gas in '07, and the fact that road fatalities were reduced continent-wide, mostly (99%) due to the fact of expensive gas...

M0J0

by: M0J0 on

racer wrote:And again Fantino reminds us that
Fantino wrote:... since the law was passed, the number of fatal accidents on OPP-patrolled highways dropped by 130 last year from 2007.

He fails to remember $1.40 gasoline i summer of '08 VS $0.95 gas in '07, and the fact that road fatalities were reduced continent-wide, mostly (99%) due to the fact of expensive gas...

Wrong Mister Moderater:

Julian's law spread fear across Western Hemisphere, who would'nt be scared with a threat of your property being stolen and left naked on the side of the road, the price of petrol has nothing to do with the reduction of fatal accidents!

ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

M0J0 wrote:Julian's law spread fear across Western Hemisphere

Holy Cr@p! Somebody who thinks Julian's grasp is even bigger than his ego. I never thought I'd see that day! Run citizens of Tokyo, Fantzilla is coming!!!

Fight Your Ticket!
Post a Reply