Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.


Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!


The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.
  Print view

Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:37 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:49 pm
Posts: 346
Sure you would be able to issue more tickets but some cars might not notice them like the marked vics.

When you see a marked vic it is clearly one and you get the hell out of the way.

Those lights bar on the roof can be seen from REALLY far away.

If there is an officer at the side of the road giving a ticket and he only has some light LED's on his grill i would be so upset if i got a ticket for not moving over that would not be fair.

Atleast with a marked cruiser you can tell, plus the light bar and the reflective decals on the car.

What if it was a random toyota camry at night on the side of the road with no light bars.

The OPP take that move over when an officer is on the side of the highway really seriously, i dont want to get a ticket for that.

And i sure as hell want to get out of the way if an officer has to race through traffic to get to an accident, i would certainly want to make sure i could tell if he was a real officer needing to get somewhere.

The light bars cost alot but that would defeat the purpose of a stealth car. The grill lights are cheap and i can see people using them. They are easy to hide to and can be quickly turned off i assume.

Imagine if people started using them and then people started to wonder if it was a real officer.

What if you had to go rescue someone at the side of the road and cars didn't believe you were a real officer? That could be quite a problem.

As far as trying to catch people plugging the left lane.

Thats not a hard one to figure out.

Especially on a 3 lane highway all an officer has to do is drive without his lights on and notice the flow of traffic all weird. If he can see miles of open road ahead but a trafifc jam in the left lane all he need to do is speed up and find the culrpit. Infact i have even a better solution for this.

Especially at night when an officer is parked on the shoulder using lidar most likely pointing at the front license plate he would easily be able to see that for some reason no cars pass then suddenly a convoy of a traffic jam in the left lane passes. These people are not hard to find they cause traffic backups. Same as tailgating it is hard to see an officer parked behind a bridge he can easily see.

Infact i have seen some officers so well hidden i almost crashed into one. I was getting off the highway and he was on the shoulder with a Marksman 20/20. He was about 2 feet from the painted line. I slammed on my breaks and almost freaked out. He was in unmarked car. I was driving my head lights arent the best i had no idea what it was and freaked out. Can you imagine if that was a transport with failed breaks or needed to pull over he wouldn't have even seen the guy until it was to late.

At least with the marked cruiser i would have seen the reflective decals. If your worried about catching speeders he would have got you before you saw him still since it was at night.

Also hwybear does the move over for an officer law apply to an officer who is at the side of the road waiting for someone or using lidar/radar?

Sometimes especially when doing lidar enforcement these guys are facing the oncoming traffic so that they can shoot your plate with it. At night especially in an unmarked car this is pretty hard to see until the last second. Can you get a ticket for not moving over? Or does that law only apply when the officer has his LED's on in which his car would be clearly visible to the oncoming traffic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:23 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:45 am
Posts: 709
Location: Orillia
tdrive2 wrote:
Sure you would be able to issue more tickets but some cars might not notice them like the marked vics.

When you see a marked vic it is clearly one and you get the hell out of the way.

Those lights bar on the roof can be seen from REALLY far away.

If there is an officer at the side of the road giving a ticket and he only has some light LED's on his grill i would be so upset if i got a ticket for not moving over that would not be fair.

Atleast with a marked cruiser you can tell, plus the light bar and the reflective decals on the car.

What if it was a random toyota camry at night on the side of the road with no light bars.

The OPP take that move over when an officer is on the side of the highway really seriously, i dont want to get a ticket for that.

And i sure as hell want to get out of the way if an officer has to race through traffic to get to an accident, i would certainly want to make sure i could tell if he was a real officer needing to get somewhere.


With the lights on, I find I notice a stealth car just the same as a standard cruiser. I can also hear the sirens two or three blocks away and start moving to the right. If you miss a stealth cruiser with lights on, in my opinion you're not paying enough attention to your surroundings. Driver's ed - rearview mirror every five seconds. ;)

tdrive2 wrote:
Infact i have seen some officers so well hidden i almost crashed into one. I was getting off the highway and he was on the shoulder with a Marksman 20/20. He was about 2 feet from the painted line. I slammed on my breaks and almost freaked out. He was in unmarked car. I was driving my head lights arent the best i had no idea what it was and freaked out. Can you imagine if that was a transport with failed breaks or needed to pull over he wouldn't have even seen the guy until it was to late.


No offense, but it doesn't sound like you were driving safely. I'm not attacking you personally, just offering some criticism. If you don't have time to react to objects coming into your field of view, then you are overdriving your headlights - slow down. Also, how old is your car? Halogens will dim over time and need replacing, even though they are not burned out.

tdrive2 wrote:
Also hwybear does the move over for an officer law apply to an officer who is at the side of the road waiting for someone or using lidar/radar?

Sometimes especially when doing lidar enforcement these guys are facing the oncoming traffic so that they can shoot your plate with it. At night especially in an unmarked car this is pretty hard to see until the last second. Can you get a ticket for not moving over? Or does that law only apply when the officer has his LED's on in which his car would be clearly visible to the oncoming traffic.


You only need to move over if the emergency vehicle has its lights on (which means you wouldn't be ticketed for that stealth Camry you mentioned above). However, it is a good idea to move over for any vehicle on the shoulder if it can be done without causing much disruption in the lane next to you. A driver might need some extra space to change a tire, or a truck might need it to open the door. Sometimes a tow truck needs to position itself by driving partly onto the roadway.

_________________
         Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:48 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:49 pm
Posts: 346
It can be hard to move over with heavy traffic (GTA).

As regards to me driving dangerously, if that was the case the officer inside the car with the lidar unit would have pulled me over for speeding. I was slowing down and pulling to the right to get off at my exit and was quite shocked.

Secondly with the sirens anyone playing music in their car or on a phone would not hear them until they got close.

The current stealth cars are easy to spot. Black steel wheels, usually vics, plain colours, tinted windows, extra antenas. This is quite obvious and is easy to pull over.

But as to regards with totally random stock vehicles this is a different story.

With the current OPP stealth cruisers they are harder to see but when you get close enough you can tell and move over. If you want to use different random cars that look like stock vehicles with no light bars this can be a much harder task. especially if the lights were lets say mounted on the grill of the car only.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:53 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
Squishy wrote:
Have you noticed a difference between OPP's all-white and black-and-white cruisers?


I find the most noticeable difference is the blue lights on cruisers and reaction time with drivers. I believe it is b/c blue is known world wide for police and that C'dn TV is swamped with american television that show police shows with blue lights.

I find US drivers much more compliant and reactive to the B&W car as that is what they are used to seeing.

Stationary radar and moving, more people slow down faster with the white car. B&W seems to blend in more with all other dark vehicles, park cross-ways I think the B&W also blends in more as the side is broken up with the 2 tone paint, where all white is a bigger object.

Winter months the B&W is safer people see the front, back, side easier contrasting against the snow. Night time it reflects really well, same as the white.

Guess the bottom line is that the blue/red LED lighting makes the most impact of all!

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:17 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
tdrive2 wrote:
Sure you would be able to issue more tickets but some cars might not notice them like the marked vics.

do not care about tickets, it would be the "agressive drivers" you all complain about that would get the "hammer"

Quote:
If there is an officer at the side of the road giving a ticket and he only has some light LED's on his grill i would be so upset if i got a ticket for not moving over that would not be fair.

If you see the "grill" lights....oh boy...you are looking in your rear view mirror my friend :wink:

Quote:
What if you had to go rescue someone at the side of the road and cars didn't believe you were a real officer? That could be quite a problem.


It is not a matter of believing it is an officer, flashing red lights, flashing red/blue move out of the way. A lot supervisors of fire, EMS and police have unmarked vehicles as they respond from home at all hours

If you don't know that these are emergency vehicles, someone has issues and should not be on the road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lV8sjXGyF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x0B5y99vC8&feature=related

Quote:
Also hwybear does the move over for an officer law apply to an officer who is at the side of the road waiting for someone or using lidar/radar?

Move over law is only in effect when the lights are activated....so that lidar picture I have posted ...no requirement by law to move over.......common courtesy and safe driving practices would be to move over.

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Commercial motor vehicles, enforcement, lease Sect. 20

racer

0

948

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:49 pm

racer View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Nice Job On The New Look 'N' Feel

hk111

0

344

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:44 am

hk111 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. no right turn- advise is always nice!

windy1

0

450

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:16 am

windy1 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Aircraft Enforcement

liveontheedge

2

976

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:37 pm

hwybear View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. HTA 75(1) enforcement

[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2 ]

Zozzie

15

4129

Sat May 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Radar Identified View the latest post

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Speed Enforcement Location, tell us about it - Rules

hwybear

0

1642

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:52 pm

hwybear View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Speed Enforcement Works, If done Properly!!

hwybear

3

449

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 am

Reflections View the latest post

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Me vs. Toronto Police Service Parking Enforcement

journeyfromhere

1

652

Fri May 13, 2011 6:17 pm

admin View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Accessible Parking Enforcement on Private Lots

spindoctor

5

653

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 pm

admin View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 136km in 100km zone, 401 W, Cornwall, Aircraft Enforcement

rellevart

4

3333

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:02 pm

hwybear View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Photo-radar (automated speed enforcement) returns to Ontario

Whenaxis

4

528

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Whenaxis View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. New OPP Vehicles?

tdrive2

6

1399

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:11 am

hwybear View the latest post

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Web Development & Search Engine Optimization
Home | Court Listings | Ontario Traffic Ticket

Copyright 2007 - 2017 © Microtekblue Inc. Web Development & Search Engine Optimization Service. We Support phpBB All Rights Reserved.