A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Whenaxis

Posting Awards

Photo-radar (automated Speed Enforcement) Returns To Ontario

by: Whenaxis on

Here's the CBC article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/p ... -1.4087634

Here's the bill before the Provincial Legislature (Bill 65, Safer School Zones Act, 2017): http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bills_ ... illID=4358

Background:

For those of you who weren't around in Ontario in the 90s, photo-radar is similar to a red-light camera. If you are going over the speed limit, a camera would take a photo of your car and your licence plate and your speed would be shown, and this ticket would be mailed to you. A conviction would not affect your licence, it is just a fine (similar to red-light cameras). Photo-radar was implemented for a very limited amount of time in the 90s and it was very unpopular. In the next election, a new party was elected and stopped the use of photo-radar.

New Developments:

* Bill 65, Safer School Zones Act, 2017 (the "Act") changes the wording of "photo-radar" to "automated speed enforcement system" (presumably because there is still public stigma to the words "photo-radar")

* The Act would allow municipalities to put an "automated speed enforcement system" in community safety zones or school zones

* Under existing legislation, municipalities can pass a by-law to designate ANY road under its jurisdiction as a "community safety zone" (section 214 of the Highway Traffic Act)

* Under existing legislation, municipalities can pass a by-law to designate roads within 150 metres of a school as a "school zone" (section 128(5) of the Highway Traffic Act)

* The Act is close to being approved and it will be approved since the Liberal government has a majority in the provincial legislature

* The Conservatives are not opposed to having "automated speed enforcement" in school zones, but the Conservatives are opposed to community safety zones because "the bill could go much further, since defining a community safety zone is up to individual municipalities" - ANY road can be designated as one

Nanuk

by: Nanuk on

Whenaxis wrote:Here's the CBC article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/p ... -1.4087634

Here's the bill before the Provincial Legislature (Bill 65, Safer School Zones Act, 2017): http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bills_ ... illID=4358

Background:

For those of you who weren't around in Ontario in the 90s, photo-radar is similar to a red-light camera. If you are going over the speed limit, a camera would take a photo of your car and your licence plate and your speed would be shown, and this ticket would be mailed to you. A conviction would not affect your licence, it is just a fine (similar to red-light cameras). Photo-radar was implemented for a very limited amount of time in the 90s and it was very unpopular. In the next election, a new party was elected and stopped the use of photo-radar.

New Developments:

* Bill 65, Safer School Zones Act, 2017 (the "Act") changes the wording of "photo-radar" to "automated speed enforcement system" (presumably because there is still public stigma to the words "photo-radar")

* The Act would allow municipalities to put an "automated speed enforcement system" in community safety zones or school zones

* Under existing legislation, municipalities can pass a by-law to designate ANY road under its jurisdiction as a "community safety zone" (section 214 of the Highway Traffic Act)

* Under existing legislation, municipalities can pass a by-law to designate roads within 150 metres of a school as a "school zone" (section 128(5) of the Highway Traffic Act)

* The Act is close to being approved and it will be approved since the Liberal government has a majority in the provincial legislature

* The Conservatives are not opposed to having "automated speed enforcement" in school zones, but the Conservatives are opposed to community safety zones because "the bill could go much further, since defining a community safety zone is up to individual municipalities" - ANY road can be designated as one

I am skeptical of photo radars effectiveness , yes I know they publish statistics however I still question the accuracy of those . I am not impartial but I would rather see the money spent for photo radar put into municipal police service traffic enforcement, hire an extra officer just for traffic !

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

Nanuk wrote:I am skeptical of photo radars effectiveness , yes I know they publish statistics however I still question the accuracy of those . I am not impartial but I would rather see the money spent for photo radar put into municipal police service traffic enforcement, hire an extra officer just for traffic !
Well said!

Post a Reply