Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Accident on left turn, need advice
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:13 pm 

So I was turning left into a gas station while cars in 2 oncoming lanes were stopped at a red light, I passed by the first oncoming lane ( there was space between cars and they let me go through) while inching up to see if cars were coming in the other oncoming lane a guy came by going at least 10 over and hit me while I was still in the oncoming lane next to him, not his lane. Insurance said it was my fault because I was making a left, I'm 18, already paying 390 a month, what are my options?

Re: Accident on left turn, need advice
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:01 pm 

Onus is on the driver making the left. Squeezing through a stopped lane of cars while one remains active is usually an accident waiting to happen.

Insurance company is correct. There's options for mediation and arbitration, but I don't see how you can make a case.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:31 pm 

bend wrote:
Onus is on the driver making the left. Squeezing through a stopped lane of cars while one remains active is usually an accident waiting to happen.

Insurance company is correct. There's options for mediation and arbitration, but I don't see how you can make a case.

What are those options?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:52 am 

I don't know much about that process, unfortunately. You usually hear about cases dealing with accident benefits and stuff like that, rather than fault determination on your average accident.

What issue exactly do you have with your insurance providers ruling? All insurance providers in Ontario use the Fault Determination Rules. If you turn left into the path of another vehicle, you're 100% at fault. The person travelling straight is free to do so. The onus is on you to only turn when it is safe.