Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Left turn into parking lot "prohibited u-turn"?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:44 pm 

I received a ticket today from the Hamilton Police. I was northbound on Hwy 6 and turned left to proceed west on Hwy 5 (in Clappison's Corners). I was attempting to get into the Tim Horton's parking lot on the south side of Hwy 5, but there is a boulevard which ends just west of the entrance to the parking lot and a no u-turn sign is posted as well as a no left turn sign. I proceeded another 65 metres down the road past the sign (I measured it on Google Earth), and turned left into a parking lot on the south side of Hwy 5. I turned around in the parking lot (which also had a no u-turn sign posted just before it), went back to the road and turned right to proceed east on Hwy 5. When I pulled into the Tim Horton's parking lot, there was a Hamilton Police officer sitting there who waved me over.

She told me that I was not permitted to make a u-turn and there was signage saying so. I told her that I hadn't pulled a u-turn and she told me that what I did was still prohibited due to the no left turn sign (65 metres ahead of the lot I turned into). She told me "nobody sees the sign and everyone does it. It's like shooting fish in a barrel" :roll: . She then proceeded to give me a ticket for "make prohibited u-turn". She told me that she wrote it up as a By-Law violation instead of the more expensive OHTA violation so that there were no points associated with the ticket and the fine is less expensive.

A couple of questions, if you would be so kind as to give me your input:
1) Does what I did still constitute a "prohibited u-turn" if I left the highway, entered a parking lot, turned around in a parking lot then re-entered the highway?
2) If what I did is NOT a u-turn, then will the fact that the ticket says "prohibited u-turn" work in my favour (since I turned left and did not make a u-turn) if I should choose to fight this in court?
3) I know there are regulations as to where signs must be posted for prohibiting certain types of turns - 65 metres in advance seems a little far to me and I feel like it was more meant for people doing a partial u-turn to enter the Tim Horton's parking lot, not a turn further down the road - does anyone know what the regulation for sign location is for a no left turn sign?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice you can provide! :)

Re: Left turn into parking lot "prohibited u-turn"?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:54 am 
High Authority

From your description I would say you did not make a u-turn.

Re: Left turn into parking lot "prohibited u-turn"?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:51 pm 

Agree with Stanton. A left turn into a parking lot is not a U-turn. If you turn around in the parking lot and turn right on to the roadway, it's still not a U-turn. The U-turn has to occur on the highway (public road)... which, you didn't do, from the sounds of it. You made a left turn on the highway but that's it.