A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

DANELAW

Md Suspended My Licence Due To Alcohol, No Car, Duis Etc.

by: DANELAW on

Hi: Five years ago I saw a young resident at Tor Western Hospital clinic for the first time ever on an unrelated medical matter. She asked many questions including "on average" or something like that (I was in pain) how much did I drink? I answered maybe 6 to 12 beers a day sometimes. Nothing more. No other comment from her. I did tell her I never had and never would drive after drinking and in fact did not even own car. Several weeks later this notice comes in the mail saying my licence is suspended until I undergo a year of alcohol treatment. I was livid. As I do not drive and felt humiliated and embarrassed and that she did not understand me as I was ill when I saw her, I did nothing. But I never went back to a doctor for five years (except the odd walk in) I was so angry and upset and frankly afraid of what might happen if I did.Now I no longer have the letter and have had to go back to that hospital. That doctor was very irresponsible and should be called to task. Who monitors this? How many people who have never had an infraction other than a parking ticket had this happen to them? And I thought if a person really did need help, why would they go to their doctor to discuss any concerns.There is a tribunal to appeal to but it takes forever to get your information and I feel I should sue the doctor and her college for bad supervision. She is no longer practising in Ontario. Has this happened to anyone else?

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

This happens all the time. I don't see any professional misconduct here if you led her to believe that you have a drinking problem. The doctor was required by law to report you to the MTO, they review the information and make a decision. Some doctors will give you a heads up, others prefer not to risk a confrontation. I know what you are saying though I have a functional alcoholic neighbor who never drinks and drives so I can see how you would be frustrated. You could have appealed, I understand why you say you didn't, but try and remember that this mandatory reporting though not perfect and definitely frustrating undoubtedly saves countless lives.

DANELAW

by: DANELAW on

But I did not and I was in great pain. Had I know the repercussions - there is such a thing as informed consent - I would have been honest but specific. Before you see a shrink or social worker they are required to make sure you understand the laws of patient confidentiality. In this case I as no imminent danger to myself, others or had no such history. All this does is discourage people from being open. It makes it worse. That is why the A in AA works so well. I think now more people know of this they will be less likely to confide in their doctor - in my case a woman I had seen once only - and that for many is the first step to getting help, to my knowledge.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

As already pointed out, doctors are required by law in Ontario to report any condition that would affect your ability to drive. They do not have a choice. They are also compensated for their time filling out the form, so there's really no reason for them not to do it. There's a list of conditions that would have to be reported. Alcohol related issues, random blackouts, heart conditions, etc. The reason for your visit doesn't need to be related to the issue being reported. There are individuals who post here from time to time who go to a doctor for a one time random black out and end up having their license suspended.

There's a reinstatement procedure where you'll have to provide the required documents showing you are not a risk.

Whether or not you have a license doesn't change the reporting procedure. Any individual 16 and over has to be reported in case you decide to apply for a license at any moment.

Your issue is with the government and you're getting into a territory that isn't Highway Traffic related, so I don't know how much help you'll be able to get here.

Post a Reply