Buemi

Suspended Due To Medical Reason

by: Buemi on

Hi, my dad had a suspected ear infection or something similar which caused him one day lose his balance and enter a consistent state of dizziness for several hours that day. This happened at work so he was rushed to the hospital. After that one day he hasn't had any issues, recurrences, or symptoms etc. etc. yet a few days ago he just received a notice of suspension in the mail from the MTO.

In it, it states that his license will be reinstated after a satisfactory medical report is sent and reviewed to the MTO.

How long does this process take? I read elsewhere that the MTO is apparently really tight assed about this and won't reinstate it even with a medical note from the family doctor and you really have to dog them on to accomplish anything. Is this true?

I understand it can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. Does anyone have first hand experience with this specific suspension? He drives a commercial van for a living so this is extremely urgent and extremely detrimental to his financial well being and livelihood.

edit: maybe this is relevant but the hospital tripped happened like a month ago and only recently did he receive the mail.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

A month is not an abnormal amount of time for a licence to get suspended by the time the hospital files their paperwork and the MTO reviews it.

It is a very difficult process to get it back after a medical suspension like this, because you have to prove to the MTO's satisfaction that it won't or is not likely to happen again...how do you do that?

I think 2-6 weeks is optimistic! If anything the fact that he's a commercial vehicle driver will make it even more difficult.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Buemi

by: Buemi on

Hm, I should clarify something. My dad's regular job is at an office and that's where he basically lost balance.

The commercial van bit, it's his own van, and his own business which he does on the side however it's still rather crucial as he has a lot of customers.

Post a Reply