A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

bobajob

Posting Awards

Question Reports From The Public

by: bobajob on

So following a couple of questions given me;

If a MOP reports a suspected driving offence either by phone at the time or afterwards will Police follow up on it and/or charge?

If the MOP was taking a video whilst driving using a handheld device; either a phone or a camera, then surly "that" person could be done under the handsfree laws as well?

If say the person had a secure dashcam footage, can that be used, would there dashcam be confiscated and used to get the raw footage;

if said dashcam/camera footage was posted to say youtube, would police follow up on it.

Could any footage be used to determine speed or lay a charge of whatever the offence looked like ?

Would the MOP need to also be a witness and therefore appear.

In the "real world" with lack of resources, if you did report some bad driving/speeding (AS opposed to say impaired) would our over worked police actually do anything?

You know a few days later go knocking on the registered drivers door ?

I'm looking at dashcams mainly for my protection; but have often thought about using footage for reporting say dangerous/tailgating etc.

Again I don't want my DC to be confiscated, or end up going to court as a witness.

ON a similar vein, my side street, really small and narrow, and always has kids running out to get there balls and from time to time, has one guys who every now and again really thrashes is car down it,

usually I don't have my phone ready or anything,but IF I did, would the police prosecute say stunt racing.

If I didn't have any video, but got the plate and rang it in, would the police do anything, or maybe just even stake out my road?

(I guess repeating the first part of the question for my own case)

cheers guys

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

Depends on the quality of the report, the seriousness and frequency of the offence, the evidence available and workload pressures.

A verbal report for a one time incident might get a warning phone call to the RO...but might not. The likelihood of a civilian witness being the only witness and being successful for the crown is very very slim.

Video is great but it needs to do more than identify the vehicle, it needs to identify the driver.

If it was someone driving dangerously every morning on the same road on the way to work, for example, that might get a cruiser there.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

coolski;

txs

argyll wrote:Depends on the quality of the report, the seriousness and frequency of the offence, the evidence available and workload pressures.

A verbal report for a one time incident might get a warning phone call to the RO...but might not. The likelihood of a civilian witness being the only witness and being successful for the crown is very very slim.

Video is great but it needs to do more than identify the vehicle, it needs to identify the driver.

If it was someone driving dangerously every morning on the same road on the way to work, for example, that might get a cruiser there.

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Post a Reply