Paralegal/Lawyer Suggestions

Moderators: Reflections, admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Decatur, bend

t3ch9
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined:

Paralegal/Lawyer Suggestions

Unread post by t3ch9 on

Okay, so as you guys can see in my previous thread, I got a ticket for "Red Light - Failed to stop". The ticket i got was in Scarborough. What paralegal/lawyers would you guys recommend I go with. Cost isn't really an issue, but I would really like to get this ticket dismissed.

So far the ones I've been suggested are:
- OTT Legal
- Benny Zappia - wewinitoritsfree.com [heard very good and very bad reviews, idk if he's legit or not]
- Redline
- xCoppers

I'm not sure who to go with, I want one who is more likely to get the ticket dismissed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.


Ontarioracer91
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined:

Unread post by Ontarioracer91 on

Zappa, I have tried him once and fired him mid case. I use MG Legal Services. They are a smaller firm, but at least you can build a relationship with them, and know whose going to be helping you. Its a really personalized approach. www.mglegalservices.com


argyll
VIP
VIP
Posts: 888
Joined:

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll on

Dual thread. You admit you committed the offence, unless there's a fatal error on the ticket a paralegal is going to be very very very unlucky to get the ticket dismissed. It's a slam dunk for the prosecution - officer testified you ran the red and you need some compelling evidence to effectively say he's lying. If expense is no object, pay the fine, pay the shall increase in premium for a first ticket and drive like a granny. You'll just waste money on a paralegal.......... But that's just my advice, it's your money do do with as you wish.
Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !


t3ch9
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined:

Unread post by t3ch9 on

Ontarioracer91 wrote:Zappa, I have tried him once and fired him mid case. I use MG Legal Services. They are a smaller firm, but at least you can build a relationship with them, and know whose going to be helping you. Its a really personalized approach. http://www.mglegalservices.com
Why did you fire zappa?


t3ch9
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined:

Unread post by t3ch9 on

I also called OTT-Legal and they told me that there is a 60% chance they can get it dismissed and a 40% chance they can get it reduced. What do you guys think?


argyll
VIP
VIP
Posts: 888
Joined:

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll on

On what grounds do they think they can get it dismissed. Without knowing that it's too easy for them to say, "sorry we could only get it reduced".
Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !


jsherk
High Authority
High Authority
Posts: 1722
Joined:

Unread post by jsherk on

You MUST get disclosure before you decide on a defense. Any paralegal or lawyer who says they can get it dismissed with an X% chance without seeing disclosure first is not to be trusted in my opinion.

Plead Not Guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your notice of trial, then request disclosure (officers notes). Once you get the disclosure then go see some paralegals and see what they say. No point paying them to do the easy parts that you can do yourself.
+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++


Observer135
Member
Member
Posts: 128
Joined:

Unread post by Observer135 on

jsherk is absolutely right....
I have been to several court proceedings and seen paralegals come and present several cases in about 5 minutes (if that)
They tend to take plea deals and go back to the client saying this is the best they could do and make several hundred dollars for doing nothing at all.
You could do this for no charge.


karra
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 40
Joined:

Unread post by karra on

Observer135 wrote:jsherk is absolutely right....
I have been to several court proceedings and seen paralegals come and present several cases in about 5 minutes (if that)
They tend to take plea deals and go back to the client saying this is the best they could do and make several hundred dollars for doing nothing at all.
You could do this for no charge.
If you're going to make statements like that - you must be prepared to support it - so,

How do you know;

"They tend to take plea deals and go back to the client saying this is the best they could do and make several hundred dollars for doing nothing at all."?


Observer135
Member
Member
Posts: 128
Joined:

Unread post by Observer135 on

karra wrote:
"They tend to take plea deals and go back to the client saying this is the best they could do and make several hundred dollars for doing nothing at all."?
As I said it in my post, I have seen it with my own eyes...
Now, let's be clear, not all of them do this, so the question is how to find the ones that actually work hard for you...
I myself used an x-copper in early 90's to get off a speeding ticket, was paced on 401 at night time, he charged me $450 at the time (over 3 times the cost of the ticket) but he did get the charge completely dismissed, I never had to show up to court. Was it worth it? Yes, for sure, my insurance savings paid for his fee in one year. Have I ever been able to find any one else who could do this over 15 years later for my second ticket? No, because he had moved and people who started offering this type of service mushroomed, so the competition became more fierce.
When they need to offer a lower fee structure due to competition, they need to cut corners to increase the volume of the cases they deal with, it's simple economics.

Based on the exception you took to my opinion, I take it you are in this profession, I should clarify, no all of such professionals do this, but it seems majority I have seen at the court do.

In my readings on Canlii I came across an agent defending his client in court and the amount work he had done was impressive and mind bugling.
Proof there are some great agents out there that do not take the easy road.

Cheers


t3ch9
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined:

Unread post by t3ch9 on

I don't know what to do lol
I called a lot of paralegals and when I talk to them over the phone, they all make me feel so confident they will get rid of the ticket. I know they are just trying to take my money though :(

My debate is between
- OTT Legal
- wewinitoritsfree.com [he sounds confident but i read both good/bad reviews about him so i have no clue if i should take the risk or not]
- Mavericks Legal Service


screeech
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 324
Joined:

Unread post by screeech on

Have you talked to the prosecutor yourself? it's free, and they are quite approachable...ask if they will take a plea to Disobey Lane Light, section 144(10) of the Highway Traffic Act, it is NO points...prosecutors love a guilty plea, they can get through the dockets quickly and save the trials for the more serious offences...There is a better than average chance the paralegal you hire will do that as well, of course after they have received disclosure and realize they have no real available defence.


jsherk
High Authority
High Authority
Posts: 1722
Joined:

Unread post by jsherk on

Get disclosure first then talk to the paralegals. The ones that will sit down you with and discuss possible defenses as well as plea deals are the ones you want. Just telling you they can win is not enough... ask them why do they think they can win?
+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++


t3ch9
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined:

Unread post by t3ch9 on

One defense a paralegal told me about was...
The cop was not looking at the same light as me, he was in front of me on the opposite side so therefore he wasn't looking at the same light as me, therefore my light could've been yellow and his could've been red.

Unless he tested the lights (which I'm sure he didn't)?

What do you guys think about this? Should i go with this guy? He was from Mavericks legal service.


jsherk
High Authority
High Authority
Posts: 1722
Joined:

Unread post by jsherk on

Yes that is a good defense and could possibly work and would be at the top of my list to use. But you still need to see disclosure first and see what the officers says in his notes. Maybe after he pulled you over he went back and watched both lights to see if they changed at the same time and then noted that in his notes.




+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++


Locked

Return to “General Talk”