Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Fighting stunt driving charges. Lawyer vs paralegal
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:44 pm 

I recently got pulled over for doing 143 on an 80. The officer also claims I was endangering other drivers by passing with non-clear approaching traffic. I got issued three tickets for apparent violation of 148 (8) (a), 172 (1) and 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.

My licence was suspended for seven days. The vehicle I was driving, belonging to my partner (not even mine) was impounded. Someone else's property was taken away for an act I presumably carried out (how constitutional is that??). I was on a camping trip so was left stranded far from home and my campsite with no alternative to go back home. I'm incurring nearly $1000 for impounding and towing back to Toronto and hundreds more in taxis and alternative transportation. Needless to say, I was heavily punished for an act I haven't even been tried for.

I will fight these charges with a local representative. I don't want to go through Xcopper, Pointts or the such, as from what I read on this forum, they simply refer the case to a local paralegal. I found one in the town where I am being tried, as well as a lawyer with experience in these cases. As this is a serious offence, I am considering the lawyer at $3,000+, instead of the paralegal who charges $750. Is this necessary, or should a paralegal be enough to get me out this mess? Any experiences and tips are welcome.

Thanks!

Re: Fighting stunt driving charges. Lawyer vs paralegal
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:24 pm 

I don't know why a lot of people spend $1000 on legal counsel to get +50km/h under S172 reduced to +49km/h under S128. Realistically, they can do this themselves by speaking to the prosecutor.

If you're feeling overwhelmed or don't feel comfortable going to court, you're better off with a paralegal. Speeding is a very easy charge for the crown to prosecute, everyone involved: crown, cop, JP are seasoned in dealing with them. A $3000 lawyer is not going to change the essential elements required to get a speeding conviction in Ontario. A lot of the success stories you hear from clients are simply due to technicalities: fatal error, officer no-show, disclosure issues, 11b. Some places consider a plea-deal a win :roll:

Personally, I would pick the trial option, review the evidence (disclosure) and speak to the crown prosecutor about a plea-deal. The best case would be to have the S148 and S172 charges dropped in exchange for a plea-deal to +49km/h under S128. Even plea-dealing to +63km/h under S128 will be financially cheaper than fighting and losing the S172 which carries a minimum fine of $2000.