Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:27 am 

Hi all,

Tonight I was getting home at around 3 am. I was pulled over because I was speeding a little bit. I was asked for all of my documents and I also had expired slip. The officer didn't charge me with speeding which made me really happy, but gave me the ticket for failing to surrender insurance. So my question is, should I go to court and fight over this ticket or just pay it since I was not given speeding ticket? I just wonder what happens if I go to court and than the officer will show up and say that I was also speeding. Thanks.

Last edited by Stiratel on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:56 am 

racer wrote:
Stiratel

What do you thinks would the speeding charge have been? 1-15? 16-29? 30-49?

Were you charged with 23.(5)? Looks like the officer did you a favour by not writing out 2 tickets.

Stiratel wrote:
racer wrote:
Stiratel

What do you thinks would the speeding charge have been? 1-15? 16-29? 30-49?

Were you charged with 23.(5)? Looks like the officer did you a favour by not writing out 2 tickets.

The speeding was by 23.5 km over the limit. He did make me a favour for sure, thus I don't mind paying the other ticket, but if I can avoid it, than why not to try. Also, other question I would have if this ticket would affect anyway my Insurance policy?

Sorry for the above mess, tried to split the above from another post to make it a seperate discussion, and/well I'll try it to be better next time

Stiratel - there is no 23.5km over the limit. What I believe "Racer" was getting at was were you charged for no insurance via the Highway Traffic Act under section 23 (which is ONLY for commercial motor vehicles) OR were you charged under the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act with a $65 ticket.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:01 am 

hwybear wrote:
What I believe "Racer" was getting at was were you charged for no insurance via the Highway Traffic Act under section 23 (which is ONLY for commercial motor vehicles) OR were you charged under the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act with a $65 ticket.

I was charged with $65 under the Compulsory Automobile Act. My main concern is, since a lot of people say their ticket was waived, is it possible that in court, officer will say also that I was speeding? Would this matter or not? I just would like to know should I go and pay it or try to fight for it. What would be the best decision and how it will affect me? Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:54 pm 

If you fight the insurance card ticket, there is a possibility that the Crown, upon discovering that you were stopped initially for speeding, could file a motion to also charge you with speeding. In this case I'd recommend just paying the $65 ticket. As for insurance implications, there are only a select one or two companies that would care; the overwhelming majority will not.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:14 pm 

Radar Identified wrote:
If you fight the insurance card ticket, there is a possibility that the Crown, upon discovering that you were stopped initially for speeding, could file a motion to also charge you with speeding. In this case I'd recommend just paying the $65 ticket. As for insurance implications, there are only a select one or two companies that would care; the overwhelming majority will not.

Thanks a lot for your opinion. I thought the same way, but always good to hear what other people think about it as well.