52 km/hr over driving on the 401 in January 2019

zinehom

52 km/hr over driving on the 401 in January 2019

by: zinehom on
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:51 pm

Long story short, I was driving from Toronto to Ottawa and around Napanee with my friend in two separated cars, the officer was parked on uturn. He followed us turn his light on and got between us and pulled us over, he told me that i was running at 152 km/h without showing me his LISAR. they suspended my and my friends license and impounded the two cars for 7 days. This was a Friday in January 25th I was going me and my friend in the same line.

I went to my initial hearing in Napanee, and they gave me my disclosure(see bellow) and the deal was to drop stunt driving and pay 1500$, I refused the deal and I have a Trial in May 16.
I've spoken to a few paralegals prior to getting my disclosure and they all said the same things along the same lines "Oh, Napanee is bad. We will try to fight it but if we can't, we'll get you a good deal". I was hesitant to pay $1,000 to someone to go in and get the same deal as the prosecutor gave me at the initial hearing. I even asked and they said "This is the best deal we can give, and this is what we would give you if you were represented by a paralegal" I don't know how true that is though.

Anyway, what are my best options here? Should I hire a paralegal or a lawyer and can I win ?
My disclosure : https://docsend.com/view/bp9nex2

Thank you for your time in reading this and any future feedback, comments, suggestions.
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:33 pm

Officer isn't required to show you any readings roadside.

Your deal is pretty standard. In term of deals, It's either drop the stunt and charge you according to the speed or they drop the speed down to 49. The higher the speed, the less likely you are to receive much of anything.

If that's what they were willing to offer, I don't know if i'd expect anything better.

Keep in mind speeding 50+ is still a serious offense in terms of insurance. What that means is whether you accept the deal or not, your provider isn't going to treat these differently. You will however save quite a bit on the fine.
Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:55 am

Maybe there's an argument that the speed recorded was your friend's, but the officer's notes make it clear that you were both travelling approximately the same speed consistently. If you can get a deal at 49 over, you should consider yourself fortunate, especially given that you had just been convicted of driving 20 over the limit.

If you get a deal at 49 over, you'll be up to 7 demerit points and will receive a warning letter. If you're convicted at 50 over or more, you'll be at 9 points and could face an interview or a licence suspension.
Post a Reply