Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.


Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!


The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.
  Print view

Legal requirement to report accident to Insurer?
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:40 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:10 pm
Posts: 1
Location: GTA
Is there a legal requirement to report an accident to the insurer?

Scenario
- 2 vehicle accident
- each vehicle has less than $1000 damage
- each vehicle has damage roughly equal to insurance deductible
- a police Accident Report was completed

In this scenario the drivers decided to repair their own damages. But are they legally bound to report the accident and damages to the insurer? ...and out of curiosity... does the accident impact the insurance coverage even if no claim was made?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:32 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 pm
Posts: 2881
Location: Toronto
According to the Insurance Act, if you're planning on filing a claim, you have seven days from the time of the incident to report it. If not, no report is required UNLESS the insurance policy says "you must report all damage or collisions." That's rare, though. Check your policy.

6rob51 wrote:
does the accident impact the insurance coverage even if no claim was made?


Unless a driver was charged with an offence, no.

Another example: My car got banged up in a parking lot in two separate hit-and-run incidents (Note to Toronto drivers: STOP HITTING MY CAR!! :x ) one of which gouged and wrecked the right rear quarter-panel and the other buckled and dislocated the front bumper. No surveillance cameras, no chance of identifying the driver or the suspect vehicle, so I'm paying out of pocket rather than dealing with insurance and having my rates go up for the next six years (did the math, cheaper to pay out of pocket). So, I didn't bother reporting it to my insurance company, as far as putting in a claim goes.


Last edited by Radar Identified on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:27 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
If there is a collision report completed, it will eventually get to the MTO and added onto the drivers licence.

When insurance checks the licence, they will see the collision.

Would not want to say no collisions if asked, as that might be a reason to cancel your insurance for a false statement.

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:25 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 pm
Posts: 2881
Location: Toronto
hwybear wrote:
If there is a collision report completed, it will eventually get to the MTO and added onto the drivers licence.

When insurance checks the licence, they will see the collision.


Good point. Forgot about that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:35 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 502
Radar Identified wrote:
According to the Insurance Act, if you're planning on filing a claim, you have seven days from the time of the incident to report it. If not, no report is required UNLESS the insurance policy says "you must report all damage or collisions." That's rare, though. Check your policy.

6rob51 wrote:
does the accident impact the insurance coverage even if no claim was made?


Unless a driver was charged with an offence, no.

Another example: My car got banged up in a parking lot in two separate hit-and-run incidents (Note to Toronto drivers: STOP HITTING MY CAR!! :x ) one of which gouged and wrecked the right rear quarter-panel and the other buckled and dislocated the front bumper. No surveillance cameras, no chance of identifying the driver or the suspect vehicle, so I'm paying out of pocket rather than dealing with insurance and having my rates go up for the next six years (did the math, cheaper to pay out of pocket). So, I didn't bother reporting it to my insurance company.


R I not sure about that.

If your car is parked and damaged by another driver there is no impact on your insurance record.

My car was scraped from front to back, by a 5 ton, while parked, about $3000 damage.

$100 deductible applied so they paid me $2900.
No claim added to record.(still 7 star)

The only time that there is no effect on your insurance (rates) is when you are out of the car or when something hits you from the air.

Cheers
Viper1

_________________
"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"


Last edited by viper1 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Legal requirement to report accident to Insurer?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:39 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 502
6rob51 wrote:
Is there a legal requirement to report an accident to the insurer?

Scenario
- 2 vehicle accident
- each vehicle has less than $1000 damage
- each vehicle has damage roughly equal to insurance deductible
- a police Accident Report was completed

In this scenario the drivers decided to repair their own damages. But are they legally bound to report the accident and damages to the insurer? ...and out of curiosity... does the accident impact the insurance coverage even if no claim was made?




"a police Accident Report was completed"

Pics etc. are sent to your insurance company same day you report it.


Under $1000 no need to report it.

Cheers
Viper1

_________________
"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:01 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 pm
Posts: 2881
Location: Toronto
viper1 wrote:
The only time that there is no effect on your insurance (rates) is when you are out of the car or when something hits you from the air.


Interesting... they told me "it's a claim so it will affect your rates." :shock: Wonder if I got the right info from them. :?

EDIT: Should clarify - I mentioned the damage to them, so I guess that could count as a report, but never filed a claim.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:51 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 2933
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!
viper1 wrote:
[The only time that there is no effect on your insurance (rates) is when you are out of the car or when something hits you from the air.
Viper1


just blame RI for that :wink:

_________________
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:57 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 pm
Posts: 2881
Location: Toronto
hwybear wrote:
just blame RI for that


:shock:

Imagining trying to explain myself to Transport Canada...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:49 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 139
Rates will not be affected if you are hit from behind as well, which is 0% responsibility according to insurance accident rules.

I'm just completing a FSCO course right now, and some of the fault rules are infuriating, including this one, because even if idiot driver #1 pulls in front of you in some road rage battle and slams on his breaks and you hit him, he was the one who drove carelessly (dangerously, even) but YOU according to insurance rules as they stand are 100% at fault. I am still so perplexed over this and have asked if a police charge of careless on the other driver could be shown, would the fault determination change. I was told "no".

If there were a way to attach powerpoint files to posts I would post the rules here as I have them on study sheets to memorize as they, imo, make NO SENSE whatsoever that I have to resort to full-on memorization to remember them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:29 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 502
Marquisse wrote:
Rates will not be affected if you are hit from behind as well, which is 0% responsibility according to insurance accident rules.

I'm just completing a FSCO course right now, and some of the fault rules are infuriating, including this one, because even if idiot driver #1 pulls in front of you in some road rage battle and slams on his breaks and you hit him, he was the one who drove carelessly (dangerously, even) but YOU according to insurance rules as they stand are 100% at fault. I am still so perplexed over this and have asked if a police charge of careless on the other driver could be shown, would the fault determination change. I was told "no".

If there were a way to attach powerpoint files to posts I would post the rules here as I have them on study sheets to memorize as they, imo, make NO SENSE whatsoever that I have to resort to full-on memorization to remember them.


your course agrees then.

My wife has been doing that for 20 years.

You could ask and I might tell you a lot of answers.

Cheers
Viper1

_________________
"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:46 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:26 pm
Posts: 2881
Location: Toronto
Marquisse wrote:
I'm just completing a FSCO course right now, and some of the fault rules are infuriating, including this one, because even if idiot driver #1 pulls in front of you in some road rage battle and slams on his breaks and you hit him, he was the one who drove carelessly (dangerously, even) but YOU according to insurance rules as they stand are 100% at fault.


Yeah, reading the Fault Determination Rules, it has a tendency to make me do this: :shock:

Driver "A" could be charged with careless driving and be 0% at fault, whereas driver "B" could be an innocent victim but 100% at fault. :shock: :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:43 pm 
Offline
VIP
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:27 pm
Posts: 959
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Marquisse, there are a lot of sites out there that allow you to upload files for free. All you have to do is google, find one, and post the link here :wink:

_________________
"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:19 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 139
I cannot access those storage sites from this computer....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:02 pm 
Offline
VIP
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:27 pm
Posts: 959
Location: Guelph, Ontario
I have used fileqube in the past, they do not require registration for small files.

http://fileqube.com/

If you are still having trouble, PM me to arrange an email so that I can upload the file for you.

_________________
"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Do I need to inform my insurer about an accident

xjester

1

689

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:52 am

hwybear View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Accident Report Help

bluesnow

3

1180

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:06 pm

manwithaplan View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Accident report

Anonym

1

803

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Failing to Report an Accident or Not

nyx

4

3479

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:28 am

Squishy View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Fail to report an accident

moritc

0

611

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:39 pm

moritc View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Detailed level of accident report

eagle_awd

4

444

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:24 am

ynotp View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. failing to report accident ticket

uali

8

810

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:55 pm

uali View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. HTA s.199 - Duty to Report Accident

[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2 ]

Biron

23

20343

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:53 am

gjl View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Car accident, trying to obtain the police report

tom1331

10

16145

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:08 am

Radar Identified View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Failure to Furnition Information/Report Accident

LDC

1

1268

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:43 pm

LDC View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Failure to Report Accident in Underground Parking Lot

Skibum

1

2602

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:43 am

Simon Borys View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Reasonable time to report single vehicle accident

nrthwiz

1

2722

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:59 pm

Stanton View the latest post

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Web Development & Search Engine Optimization
Home | Court Listings | Ontario Traffic Ticket

Copyright 2007 - 2017 © Microtekblue Inc. Web Development & Search Engine Optimization Service. We Support phpBB All Rights Reserved.