J-ace

130 Km/h On Highway In Kingston!!

by: J-ace on

Hi everyone,

Hoping for some pointers on how to best handle this ticket. First highway ticket, 2nd speeding ticket overall.

First question is whether I have to attend the court in Kingston to appeal the ticket (fight it), or is there another method or way I can do it? My current location is Scarborough.

Secondly, is it always a guarantee that they will offer a plea bargain? If so, since I am right on the brink of the 3 demerit barrier of 16-29 km over the limit, is there any chance they reduce it below that and give it just 2 demerits or none?

Also, I'm new to this forum and have read about requesting notes of disclosure from the officers. What are the advantages of doing this and how do I go about it?

Thanks for any insight!

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

J-ace wrote:First question is whether I have to attend the court in Kingston to appeal the ticket (fight it)

Yes

J-ace wrote:Secondly, is it always a guarantee that they will offer a plea bargain?

No, but it is often the case, especially if you are only seeking a small reduction in speed.

J-ace wrote:Also, I'm new to this forum and have read about requesting notes of disclosure from the officers. What are the advantages of doing this and how do I go about it?

The advantage is you get to preview the evidence that the officer will be offering in court if you choose to take the ticket to trial. How depends on the region. Inquire with the Kingston POA court or check it out online.

J-ace

by: J-ace on

Thanks for the reply.

In regards to the plea bargain, what do you mean by if what I'm seeking? I didn't know this was negotiable. My last ticket they lady just offered my a deal and it was either yes or no. Is this not always the case?

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

Well, there is always room for negotiation, though you don't have much buying power in this situation :) Depending on what you're looking for will determine the likelihood of getting a plea. If you're only looking to get it down to 29km/hr that's very likely. If you're looking to get it down to a 10 over, that's less likely.

Post a Reply