A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Cheekers

Got Ticket On Qew (130 In 100 Zone) - Help!!!

by: Cheekers on

Was caught this am speeding on my way to work. Yes, my own fault – hit the snooze button too many times.

Anyways, the cop caught me doing 130 in a 100 on the QEW. He asked to see my license (but not my insurance or registration, which was odd). He said he scaled the ticket back and wrote "…129 km/h in a posted 100 km/h".

Fine is $138, which is not an issue. The issue is that I dont want the points and want to extend this as long as possible and not pay anything until absolutely necessary.

Guy at work said the following: "Pay nothing. They are going to issue so many tickets today the cop won't even show if it goes to trial. On Tuesday go into the court and select Option 2 Early Resolution Meet with Prosecutor". I get what he is saying but what do I say at the meeting? What do I do…? Help!!

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

I recommend choosing option 3 - trial and if there is a box, check off that you want the officer to be present. Once you get your notice of trial in the mail, submit a disclosure request at the prosecutor's office: officer's notes & copy of the manual for his speed measuring device.

Sample disclosure form: http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic2959.html

Once you review the officer's notes, and get a copy of his manual (testing pages); you can decide whether you want to proceed to trial or plea-bargain.

Most likely the prosecutor will offer you the 115 in a 100 zone if you really only care about the points. All the prosecutor wants is a speeding conviction.

Option 2 is a meeting with the prosecutor where you can only discuss plea-deals. The officer will not be present, in some cases disclosure will not even be available. Unless you show compelling evidence or serious problems with the officer's notes; the prosecutor will not withdraw or drop the charge at the resolution meeting. They have to believe there is no reasonable prospect to get a conviction.

Post a Reply