dgilbert

by: dgilbert on

I received a notice of suspension on July 14 that my "license may already be suspended" for an overdue fine. I was pulled over the next morning, literally in front of the provincial office where I was about to pay my fine.

I checked, and the notice was dated July 9, less than 7 days prior to when I was pulled over. Was I, in fact, driving with a suspended license?

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

Once a notice is generated and sent out it is because the licence is suspended at that time. I don't know why they say "may". Perhaps just on the off chance that you've corrected the issue between the time they sent the letter and the time you got it? But the 7 days only applies to how long after a notice has been sent out before a person is deemed to be served. Service is NOT required for committing the offence or being charged, but it usually follows that a person is not charged if they haven't been served.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Traffic Law

by: Traffic Law on

dgilbert wrote:I received a notice of suspension on July 14 that my "license may already be suspended" for an overdue fine. I was pulled over the next morning, literally in front of the provincial office where I was about to pay my fine.

I checked, and the notice was dated July 9, less than 7 days prior to when I was pulled over. Was I, in fact, driving with a suspended license?

You have a strong defence on this one. Less than 7 days might just get you off.

dgilbert

by: dgilbert on

Simon Borys wrote:That does often happen in situations like this. Or they reduce it to Drive No Licence.

Good to hear. At this point, I'd be happy with anything that doesn't lead to a suspended license. I've had a great job for almost 13 yrs. that I would almost certainly lose.

Post a Reply