No seat belt traffic ticket - Discuss the HTA here.
johnr

Trial Adjourned, No Video Evidence, Cop Will Show Up

by: johnr on

Hello Members,

My trial for "Driver failing to wear seat belt" was adjourned as I had not received disclosure before the trial.

The cop was present (I agreed to the same new trial date the cop will be returning for on another individual's adjournment).

Both the cop and the prosecutor advised me of video evidence, however the lady in room 12E (Toronto; 60 Queens) showed me that the disclosure I received that morning indicated no video evidence.

I need to know what to expect on my new trial date; specifically how to manoeuvre and file for dismissal, and use the "no video evidence" deal to my advantage if applicable.

For those who like details; the officer had pulled up in a marked pickup truck and asked me to pull over. I pulled into a parking lot, paused to reverse, then reversed in a parking spot. That's how my seat belt got off. :D

I would appreciate the proper lingo if you know it. I prepared for the first trial, learning to address the judge as "Your worship" and ask for a dismissal as a result of not receiving disclosure.

It would be helpful to know what to expect, how to file motions, counter motions, and if you think it will come to it, cross examine the officer.

Thank you.

John R.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

Do you have a copy of the officers notes? Can you scan and post them for us to read (black out any personal/officer info).

What is the exact charge on the ticket (wording and section number).

They do not need video evidence. They just need the officer to testify that he saw you with the seat belt off.

However if they are saying that there definitely is video evidence then you have the right to see it, whether or not they plan to use it at trial. Make sure to send a written request to prosecutor for the video evidence. That way if you still don't have it by next trial date, then you can try Section 7 lack of disclosure argument.

What kind of parking lot was it in? There may need to be a bylaw in place in order to recognize the parking lot as a "highway".

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
johnr

Attached;

Attachments
My car is Burgandy, it was a cloudy day, my shirt was black, seatbelt is very dark grey, no it was not hanging, the seatbelt in my car sits adjacent to the middle panel in between the doors, the interior of my car is grey
My car is Burgandy, it was a cloudy day, my shirt was black, seatbelt is very dark grey, no it was not hanging, the seatbelt in my car sits adjacent to the middle panel in between the doors, the interior of my car is grey
1.jpg (79.38 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
This portion of the disclosure states that there is no video evidence.
This portion of the disclosure states that there is no video evidence.
2.jpg (37.76 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
This is the disclosure I FedExed and resubmitted after my first trail.
This is the disclosure I FedExed and resubmitted after my first trail.
3.jpg (129.89 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

The officer's typed notes say there is no video evidence. You may want to get clarification IN WRITING from the disclosure clerk that nothing is available, then check with the officer and prosecutor again.

As for whether your seat belt was on, it will, unfortunately, be your word against the officer's. It is perfectly legal to remove a seatbelt when driving in reverse. It is perfectly legal to drive without a seatbelt in a parking lot. But the officer's notes show that he felt the seatbelt was dangling beside you.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

The officers notes say TWICE that he saw you not wearing your seatbelt BEFORE you pulled into parking lot.

When it is your word against the officers word, they will always believe the officer over you, unless you have other witnesses that can testify that you had it on.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
johnr

Thanks for the insight,

So obviously the fact that the officer did not document the cloudy weather, got the color of my shirt wrong, and could not have possibly seen my seatbelt dangling (I can take pictures and a video of how the seatbelt hangs), its my word against his, so I better hope he does not show up.

Any advice or instructions on how to proceed in court at my retrial?

Also, is the parking lot (link above) where the ticket was written of any significance? Any guidance on how I can find this out?

He did not put his lights on the way to the parking lot (or at all) if that's the way to go.

Post a Reply