Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Disobey Sign @ Military Trail & Highcastle Rd in Scarbor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:58 pm 

Hey guys, looking for some advice here.

I was on my way to school just a little over an hour ago and I got a ticket for traveling southbound on Military Trail from Highcastle Rd.

I was going down the hill, and there was a police car stopped on the unpaved shoulder and he waved for me to stop. I was puzzle as to why he wanted me to stop because I wasn't speeding; my foot was on the brake while going down the steep hill. He came over and said that you can't go this way between 4pm and 6pm.

I honestly did not know this! I don't normally take this route and the only reason I went that way today is because Neilson Rd southbound was restricted to a single lane due to traffic...and I have a midterm at Ryerson in 30 mins and wanted to ask the prof to clarify something so I wanted to come early! I asked the officer if he could just give me a warning because I didn't see the sign, but he said he couldn't and gave me instructions on going to court.

I just checked google maps and there is a sign there. It says no left turn 4pm to 6pm Mon-Fri (no french). The ticket says "Disobey sign" contrary to HTA. $110 and 2 demerit points.

How should I fight this? Since the sign has no french, can I use that as a defense? What would happen if I goto court and just say that I honestly didn't see the sign, and had I seen it, I would not have turned left.

Thanks, I appreciate your help...first time getting a ticket so anything would help!

Re: Disobey Sign @ Military Trail & Highcastle Rd in Sca
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:04 pm 

piru wrote:
Hey guys, looking for some advice here.

I was on my way to school just a little over an hour ago and I got a ticket for traveling southbound on Military Trail from Highcastle Rd.

I was going down the hill, and there was a police car stopped on the unpaved shoulder and he waved for me to stop. I was puzzle as to why he wanted me to stop because I wasn't speeding; my foot was on the brake while going down the steep hill. He came over and said that you can't go this way between 4pm and 6pm.

I honestly did not know this! I don't normally take this route and the only reason I went that way today is because Neilson Rd southbound was restricted to a single lane due to traffic...and I have a midterm at Ryerson in 30 mins and wanted to ask the prof to clarify something so I wanted to come early! I asked the officer if he could just give me a warning because I didn't see the sign, but he said he couldn't and gave me instructions on going to court.

I just checked google maps and there is a sign there. It says no left turn 4pm to 6pm Mon-Fri (no french). The ticket says "Disobey sign" contrary to HTA. $110 and 2 demerit points.

How should I fight this? Since the sign has no french, can I use that as a defense? What would happen if I goto court and just say that I honestly didn't see the sign, and had I seen it, I would not have turned left.

Thanks, I appreciate your help...first time getting a ticket so anything would help!

No you cannot win that way.(admit guilt?)

If there was a large truck parked there you may not have been able to see the sign. (moving or garbage truck)
Or maybe a tall person was standing there just as you went by.

Or a horse for that matter.

Pick one or think of another.

When you get to ask the cop stuff make sure to ask him what he saw (ie traffic etc).

There is probably some good reason why that sign is there.

Cheers
Viper1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 pm 

thanks for the tip!

as a matter of fact, there was actually a school bus in front of me that blocked my line of sight to the sign in question.