cattlerepairman

"military Police" Markings - Allowed?

by: cattlerepairman on

Here it goes: I have a 6x6 military truck (M35), restored, insured, registered, plated. No historic plates because of weight.

It used to be a Military Police rig and I would like to restore the markings as such. My questions:

1) Am I allowed to display "Military Police" on the vehicle?

2) There should be 2 red spotlights on the front of the truck and one on the rear. I guess they are ok as long as I keep them switched off on a public highway. Do I have to cover them up as well?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

It somewhat depends on the situation and how it's being used, but I don't think you'd have any concerns.

You mentioned the HTA, section 62, which covers the use of flashing red lights. As you've said, as long as you don't activate the lights on any highway, I think you're fine. The HTA reads like you can't have such lights equipped, but I've always understood you just can't activate them.

The other law to consider is the Criminal Code.

Personating Peace Officer

130. (1) Everyone commits an offence who

(a) falsely represents himself to be a peace officer or a public officer; or

(b) not being a peace officer or public officer, uses a badge or article of uniform or equipment in a manner that is likely to cause persons to believe that he is a peace officer or a public officer, as the case may be.

Punishment

(2) Everyone who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

I highlighted the one section that would apply to you. At the end of the day, I don't think too many reasonable people would believe an older military truck is being used by an on duty police officer. Nor can I see how you would be using it to your advantage. If you were driving around in a brand new Crown Vic with a bunch of antennaes, while wearing a blue uniform trying to get free coffee , well that would be different. :)

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Stanton wrote: At the end of the day, I don't think too many reasonable people would believe an older military truck is being used by an on duty police officer.

I would go the other way....not too many people see military vehicles on a daily basis. And from reading in paper some of our military vehicles are quite old, I would think it could be a legitimate police vehicle.

I remember a paralegal had a old OPP car and had changed the words on side (did not say police or OPP on it), but still same striping as OPP, was convicted for the noted section of the criminal code.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

For the sake of the red lights, simple solution is just to black bag them. (Marble bag with drawstring would work well)

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply