Validation Sticker

Steffie

Validation Sticker

Unread post by Steffie »

Hi everyone!

I got a ticket for not having the validation sticker on the back of my vehicle registration. Although my registration was valid!

I did a transfer of ownership and transferred plates over so I was given a new registration. After I got the ticket, I went into a Service Ontario. I was told that the officer should have been looking at the front to see the date of my permit expiry not the back because when they print a new registration for whatever reason, they don't give you brand new stickers every single time. Only when you renew then you get them! That's why they put a date of expiry on the front of the registration and numbers on the permit also match the licence plate stickers.

I am fighting my case but am I allowed to say this is the information Service Ontario gave me or is that heresay (I watch a lot of Judge Judy)? Is there anywhere in the Traffic act where I can use actual terms? Or do I just go with what Service Ontario said and say exactly that?

Thank you in advance.

whaddyaknow

Posting Awards

Unread post by whaddyaknow »

I can't put my hands on the exact reference right now, but unless things have changed the regulations say that the plate sticker "must" be affixed to the plate, and the expiry sticker "may" be attached to the ownership. This means (again, unless things have changed) that there is no reason for this not to get tossed at a pre-trial meeting. Can you post the actual ticket for us, or at least the exact HTA section you were charged under?

whaddyaknow

Posting Awards

My knowledge relates more to moving infractions (former driving instructor), but that section of the HTA is as follows:

Permit to be carried

(5) Subject to subsection (6), every driver of a motor vehicle on a highway shall carry,

(a) the permit for it or a true copy thereof; and

(b) where the motor vehicle is drawing a trailer, the permit for the trailer or a true copy thereof,

and shall surrender the permits or copies for inspection upon the demand of a police officer. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (5).

If you gave the officer the permit, I can't see how this charge can be laid. Anyone?

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

If you gave him a proper registration document then this charge is wrong.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
whaddyaknow

Posting Awards

I found it:

Regulation 628, Section 6

6. (1) A permit for a motor vehicle shall be validated by means of evidence of validation provided by the Ministry. O. Reg. 119/12, s. 1.

(2) Evidence of validation for a permit shall be affixed to a number plate for the vehicle in accordance with this Regulation, and the portion of the evidence of validation not intended for the number plate may be affixed in the appropriate space provided on the permit for the vehicle. O. Reg. 119/12, s. 1.