Is this legal (Lighting)?

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, Decatur, bend

cowcow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Is this legal (Lighting)?

by: cowcow on
Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi there,

I was just wondering if this is legal? From what I interpreted from the HTA, it is legal but the wording is very vague.

My car as of right now (stock) has the:

Inner light (closest to grille) as orange (on when parking lights/headlights are on and blink when turn signal is activated)
Outer light (closest to fender) as orange and is only on with the headlights/parking lights and do not blink

I'm thinking of changing to the lighting from the picture above where the inner and out light would both be on in white when the parking lights/headlights are on and will both blink orange when the turn signals are activated.

I'm also think of putting a clear reflector in place of the stock orange reflector on top of the light closest to the fender.

From what I understand, having white marker lights is legal and the proposed lighting system should be legal as it blinks orange when the turn signals are activated.




User avatar
hwybear
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2933
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 am
Location: In YOUR rearview mirror!

Moderator

by: hwybear on
Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:18 am

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safe ... _e-688.htm

scroll way down to technical standard III and it tells what colour lights is mandatory
turn signal lamps = amber
parking lamps = amber or white (inner lights)
side marker lamps = amber (outer most light
scroll to technical standard IV and it tells where the lights must be placed and what colour reflectors have to be
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca


cowcow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:25 pm

by: cowcow on
Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:09 pm

hk111 wrote:I hope so; that looks great. What is that cross piece on top of the (de-badged) grill (just under the hood line)?
That piece is part of the grill.
hwybear wrote:http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safe ... _e-688.htm

scroll way down to technical standard III and it tells what colour lights is mandatory
turn signal lamps = amber
parking lamps = amber or white (inner lights)
side marker lamps = amber (outer most light
scroll to technical standard IV and it tells where the lights must be placed and what colour reflectors have to be
Transport Canada laws are enforced in addition to Ontario HTA laws correct?


epcjay
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:53 pm

by: epcjay on
Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:38 am

Im not lawyer ... but in the ONTARIO HTA, it doesn't indicate anything along the lines of "in addition" to transport Canada laws. I remember checking MANITOBA HTA, and it was clearly stated unlike Ontario


User avatar
AlienPrime
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:54 pm

by: AlienPrime on
Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:26 pm

hwybear wrote:http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safe ... _e-688.htm

scroll way down to technical standard III and it tells what colour lights is mandatory
turn signal lamps = amber
parking lamps = amber or white (inner lights)
side marker lamps = amber (outer most light
scroll to technical standard IV and it tells where the lights must be placed and what colour reflectors have to be
but there are many OEM vehicles that have red markers and signals in rear! INCLUDING CROWN VICS!
"In fact, the more things are forbidden, the more popular they become"
- Mark Twain


Stanton
High Authority
High Authority
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: Ontario

by: Stanton on
Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:24 pm

AlienPrime wrote: but there are many OEM vehicles that have red markers and signals in rear! INCLUDING CROWN VICS!
I believe HwyBear was talking about the front signals. I'm pretty sure the standard says that rear signals can be red or amber.


User avatar
AlienPrime
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:54 pm

by: AlienPrime on
Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Stanton wrote:
AlienPrime wrote: but there are many OEM vehicles that have red markers and signals in rear! INCLUDING CROWN VICS!
I believe HwyBear was talking about the front signals. I'm pretty sure the standard says that rear signals can be red or amber.
ok that would make sense :)
"In fact, the more things are forbidden, the more popular they become"
- Mark Twain


User avatar
AlienPrime
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:54 pm

by: AlienPrime on
Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:57 pm

what if my parking lights are used in the same socket as the signal lights?

I will be removing the amber reflectors out of my headlights because it is ugly. I also plan to put white CREE projector signal lights. not amber.

even tho it;s all the same socket will this be illegal? If so, is it required that the vehicle is modified to change or can you just pay the ticket and be on your way?

BEFORE:
Image

AFTER:
Image
"In fact, the more things are forbidden, the more popular they become"
- Mark Twain


User avatar
Reflections
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1490
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:49 pm
Location: somewhere in traffic

Moderator

by: Reflections on
Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:51 pm

AlienPrime wrote:what if my parking lights are used in the same socket as the signal lights?

I will be removing the amber reflectors out of my headlights because it is ugly. I also plan to put white CREE projector signal lights. not amber.

even tho it;s all the same socket will this be illegal? If so, is it required that the vehicle is modified to change or can you just pay the ticket and be on your way?

BEFORE:
Image

AFTER:
Image
Technically, if the lighting is illegal, your can can be towed and impounded as "Unfit"....... just sayin....
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics

Return to “General Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests